Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soon to be needed Valve Adjustment -- Do I have the right stuff ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soon to be needed Valve Adjustment -- Do I have the right stuff ?

This is my first valve adjustment without someone to help (watch out for) me and my machine.
    I have gathered the gaskets, and all the stuff I think I need.
    I have read the tutorials, and been mentored through it a little bit as I watched someone else do it on my bike
    Now it is time for me to do it - and really learn what I am doing..
    The wrenching doesn't scare me...it's the math on the clearance I am worried about...
    I located this set of feeler gauges --
    Which numbers do I need to follow ...??
    I think the .00X numbers are thousandths of an inch ?

Set me straight here as I prepare to 'do no harm' on my bike...

Currently in the Stable :
    2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
    1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
    - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Top numbers are inches. The brassy blade is 0.010 inches or 10 thousandths.
    One inch is 25.4 mm exactly. The lower number is then 10/1000 of an inch or 25.4 x (10/1000) mm or .254mm.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

The only blades you are likely to need are the .004, .003, .002, and maybe the .0015 if you happen to have one.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yep, that 0.004" feeler (might be the fifth thinnest one) will be the largest one you will likely need. That is about the same as 0.10mm, which is just a bit looser than factory spec. Many of us will run on the looser side, up to 0.01mm or 0.004".

Don't forget to position your cams properly. Start with 1EX forward (2EX will be up), measure BOTH, 1EX and 2EX. Rotate the crank 180 degrees (1/2 turn), you will find that 1IN and 2IN are now aligned for checking. Another 1/2 turn on the crank will line up 3EX and 4EX, a final 1/2 turn will line up 3IN and 4IN.

Do you have that spreadsheet from Steve? Makes it real handy to keep track.

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
          Yep, that 0.004" feeler (might be the fifth thinnest one) will be the largest one you will likely need. That is about the same as 0.10mm, which is just a bit looser than factory spec. Many of us will run on the looser side, up to 0.01mm or 0.004".

Don't forget to position your cams properly. Start with 1EX forward (2EX will be up), measure BOTH, 1EX and 2EX. Rotate the crank 180 degrees (1/2 turn), you will find that 1IN and 2IN are now aligned for checking. Another 1/2 turn on the crank will line up 3EX and 4EX, a final 1/2 turn will line up 3IN and 4IN.

Do you have that spreadsheet from Steve? Makes it real handy to keep track.
          Thanks to everyone -
          Yes I have the spreadsheet from Steve - in fact he did the last adjustment on the old gal when we (he mostly) redid the gaskets from base UP.
          Now it needs doing again as I have put on about 4K miles - and I want to get her ready for some serious longer rides this year.
          A trip to Brown County Rally will be the big test -- and I have a dream of a SS1000 Iron Butt ride in the summer too...(dream right now)
          I am a few days (week or so) from actually starting this work - but I mean to get pictures and keep records of the process if I can for sharing with those who would like to know.
          Currently in the Stable :
          2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
          1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
          - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Working...
          X