Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motorcycle came with pods instead of the airbox. Install an airbox myself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorcycle came with pods instead of the airbox. Install an airbox myself?

Hey guys,

So I just got a 1982 Suzuki GS450L for my brother, and we will be working on it together. First project bike, so everything I'm doing is brand new.
    I already read all the beginner stuff and what not to do on here, so I'm set there. For the record, this place is amazing, I haven't even had to ask a question until now!

So I have a question about the air box....or lack thereof. So the motorcycle came with pods, but even though it has pods, it isn't properly calibrated for it. I was thinking of just installing the stock air box instead of trying to mess with pods, since it seems getting the calibration right seems tough.

So, I'd have to buy the airbox and any other parts I'd need.

So far it seems I need the airbox itself, air filter that goes in it, and....what else? Are the intake boots what attach the airbox to the carbs? Is that the other part I need?

Appreciate any help.

Originally posted by lettuceman44 View Post
    ...it has pods, it isn't properly calibrated for it...getting the calibration right seems tough.
    Appreciate any help.
    Are you capable of installing new jets in the carbs? A separate piece may have to be drilled out.

I paid someone to do that work on (in) the carbs on a dynamometer, and she runs fabulous.

You say yours isn't "properly calibrated", but how do you know the PO didn't attempt it, and thus change things from stock? If so, merely replacing the stock airbox may not cure things.

What kind of exhaust do you have?

PS Welcome! I used to live near Rochester. Was there for the big blizzard of Jan '77.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
      Are you capable of installing new jets in the carbs? A separate piece may have to be drilled out.

I paid someone to do that work on (in) the carbs on a dynamometer, and she runs fabulous.

You say yours isn't "properly calibrated", but how do you know the PO didn't attempt it, and thus change things from stock? If so, merely replacing the stock airbox may not cure things.

What kind of exhaust do you have?

PS Welcome! I used to live near Rochester. Was there for the big blizzard of Jan '77.
      It doesn't run very well, and the previous owner hasn't synced the carbs yet(had to give the bike up due to an unexpected move, so lucky me).
      I figured from what I read it would be easier to make everything stock.

Considering I don't yet know what a jet is.....haha, I'm gonna say not yet.

I believe it is just the stock exhaust, but I'll know for sure tomorrow when I can take a look again.

Comment

To go back to stock, you will need the airbox as well as the airbox boots. These are different from the "intake boots" that people often refer to. The intake boots go from the cylinder head to the carbs and the airbox boots fit into the airbox and then the other end of your carbs get snugged up in them.

For all you know the PO didn't change anything in the carbs when they put the pods on, you're going to have to dig into your carbs and pull out the jets that are in there to see what you've got they're the little brass "screws" that have holes in them and dictate fuel supply. Stock is 115 in the main and 17.5 in the pilot. The main jet is the short but wider one in the bottom of the float bowl and the pilot is the longer and skinnier one that threads in the top of the float bowl. You've probably already seen this on another thread but while you're in there you should outfit new O-rings from http://www.cycleorings.com/.

Maybe the PO did jet for the POD filters, no way of knowing unless you open up the carbs and take a look. Good luck!
        1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
        1977 GS550
        1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

It would be far less labor intensive to install the airbox than to go through all of the jetting, testing, and rejetting to get it right. It likely will never run as well, although it may eventually be close and could be slightly more powerful. If you haven't jetted a motorcycle before multiply the time it takes and the odds against getting it right by about five.

If you don't care about perfection and just want to ride slap some big jets in that puppy and go.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I don't want to rain on your parade, but isn't the 450 one of those bikes that is VERY hard to install an airbox?

I seem to remember that you have to pull the engine, set the airbox in place, then put the engine back in.

Might be a different bike, but I seem to remember it's the 450.

Comment

Not sure how it could be worse than a 550.

Comment

Go back to stock airbox setup- likely easier . Plenty 450's airboxes on ebay under $50
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                  Go back to stock airbox setup- likely easier . Plenty 450's airboxes on ebay under $50
                  Right, for just the airbox.

I just didn't know what additional parts I needed in addition to the airbox itself.

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
                    I don't want to rain on your parade, but isn't the 450 one of those bikes that is VERY hard to install an airbox?

I seem to remember that you have to pull the engine, set the airbox in place, then put the engine back in.

Might be a different bike, but I seem to remember it's the 450.
                    I think you are remembering a different bike, from lurking around here the last couple of days it seems the 450 is one of the easier ones haha.

Comment

Oh, I do have one more pertinent question not related to this original question (I didn't want to make a thread so soon after).
                      I have oil leaking from that red "thing" (I don't know what to call it). Could anyone tell me what part that is? I'm looking at the schematics, but I'm not gonna lie, they are a bit confusing. Hoping that if I can work on this backwards I can figure it out.

This is right under what I believe to be the emblem cover on the crankshaft cover.

13052432_1009280245787847_2086034085_o.jpg

Comment

That thing is the oil pressure switch. Might be loose or needs to be replaced.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                          That thing is the oil pressure switch. Might be loose or needs to be replaced.
                          Thanks! Appreciate it!

Excited to get to work on this thing.

Comment

Working...
                          X