Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fork oil capacity '82 GS850GL Z

Guys,
    I'm getting some conflicting info on the fork oil capacity on the L model forks. The Hayes manual I have shows the G model forks and then in a section later in the book says the L should be 260mm (10.24 in) fully compressed. It does not list the capacity like the others. Also, when I went to my local dealer to get fork oil all they had was 10 and 5 weight. I bought some 10 but I think it calls for 15.

Another place I read list the capacity at 265cc for the L forks. I know there are some differences between the L and G forks. Can someone give me the correct info for the L forks .

Thanks

Page 435 of the service manual for the GLZ says 260mm, a big difference from the GT at 140mm. http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
    The actual amount is secondary. The manual specifies a level just like the sump, secondary drive, final drive and so on. How much you use to get to the correct level could vary from machine to machine. What I do when replacing fork oil is to check the level first, then drain each leg into a graduated beaker to give me a ballpark figure for the refill quantity and take it from there.
    The manual calls for #15 fork oil. I blend ATF and 10W40 to get the fork oil weight I want. It's old school and not as hi tech as modern fork oils but it's one less oil can on the shelf and saves a few pennies. I'll probably disappear in a cloud of this fork foam we are warned about, one of these days.
    Last edited by Brendan W; 05-17-2016, 05:17 AM.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Thank you Brendan You think the #10 oil would cause any issues ?

Comment

No. Fork oil weight has a lot to do with personal preference and riding style. So the manual says 15 for Mr Average. Maybe that's not you.
        I noticed Steve commenting about it somewhere here this morning and would also lean in the direction of the lightest weight that was consistent with keeping the wheel on the floor.
        97 R1100R
        Previous

Comment

Of course "Mr. Average" to the manual is a little Japanese guy that weights 100lbs. soaking wet...

Comment

No way guys, we gotta go 15 on this baby
            97 R1100R
            Previous

Comment

Yeah.... I think the suspension just kind gives up and stays fully compressed until he gets off.

Comment

bump
                One more question regarding the fork re-installation. The bouncing of the forks before tightening the axle and lower triple tree pinch bolts....
                I understand this will 'settle' the front end so the forks will not be in a bind or twisted in some way if tighten up before then. When bouncing, is this with air in the forks and/or the fender back on........... or will that matter

Thanks

Comment

Whatever about extra air the fender has an alignment function so I would fit it, not fully tightened but snug, for a fork shakedown.
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous

Comment

Originally posted by JamesWhut? View Post
                    Of course "Mr. Average" to the manual is a little Japanese guy that weights 100lbs. soaking wet...
                    Which is why the factory filled them with fish oil.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Well I got both seals changed out and forks back on. The left fork had the worst shape seal, it was leaving a big oil ring on the fork. So I woke up the next morning to find this on the floor. First I thought it was the drain screw gasket, but no it seems to be leaking from the bottom hex bolt. So the left one is fixed and now the right one has a problem. "are we sure this is fun" LOLIMG_2839.jpg

Comment

Working...
                      X