Need help hooking gas tank back up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help hooking gas tank back up

I took this apart a few months ago and forgot where the hoses go. I assume the hose coming from the tank is a vent hose and a vacuum hose coming off of the petcock. But I'm getting frustrated trying to hook up the fuel line to the petcock with the vacuum hose directly in the way. Any ideas? Bike is a 79 GS1000E with VM carbs.

Got any pictures? That would help.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
      Got any pictures? That would help.
      Best I could do

image.jpg

Comment

Could not tell anything from that picture (which way is UP? ), but there should be two fittings on the petcock. The smaller one is vacuum, it will be connected to the port on carb #3 (that is the inside carb on the throttle hand side). The larger port is for fuel, it gets connected to the hose that fits on the Tee between carbs 2 and 3. There should also be vent hoses on carbs 2 and 4, they just get routed over and behind the airbox, they don't connect to anything. There might also be a hose that goes to a fitting on the safety funnel on the fuel level sender. That should be a rather long hose, it gets routed behind the engine, usually ending below the swingarm pivot. It is there just in case the gasket on the level sender leaks.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Awesome, thank you. It appears I put back of the petcock on wrong. The vacuum line should be facing towards the front of the bike (I think). But the hose isn't long enough to reach the fitting on the carb.

Comment

Correct, the vacuum port is towards the front of the engine. New hose will reach the carb fitting.
            Larry

'79 GS 1000E
            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Working...
            X