Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing speedo drive on 83 GS750E

Hi everyone,

Just ordered a used speedo drive gear off eBay for my 1983 Suzuki GS750E (hopefully it's the right one)

Wondering if I should attempt replacement myself or take it to the shop to be installed?

I'm pretty good at wrenching, I have a full toolbox from working on cars. No tools specific to motorbikes, though.

The other problem is I live in an apartment building so I'd have to do all the work in the back alley. I can probably grab a milk crate from somewhere to elevate the front, that would probably help. Nice and dangerous.

What generally would be the steps required?
    Any gotchas or specialty tools I'd need to pull the front wheel and swap out the speedo drive gear?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Skye
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 06-21-2016, 08:05 PM.

If you have a wrench and/or socket set then you have what you need. You'll need metric tools but there's nothing special to take off the front wheel to replace that item
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yup, if you've got the tools to take off the axle, then you're all set. It just sort of slides onto the axles and slots into place with two tabs.

Comment

Great, thanks for the sanity check. I'll give it a go and report back in a few weeks!

Comment

Working...
        X