oil change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil change

I have an '83 GS850GL that's ready for an oil change. Easy part: info on oil filler cap says 10W40. Slight confusion enters: previous owner sent along some Castrol 20W50. Sales person at local bike shop said not to use automotive oil in the bike because of different composition, additives and such. An online source suggested that some people use diesel oil for that vintage of bike. Gotta keep the gears and clutch plates happy, so does anyone have info that would cut through some of the yes/no/maybe?

Most of us use Rotella, it's great for clutches, has the JASO MA rating for Japanese motorcycles. Comes in 15W40 dino oil or 5W40 synthetic. I use the Rotella 5W40 synthetic in the bikes that don't burn or leak oil, use the regular 15W40 Rotella in the ones that use some. Good stuff.

JASO MA
    Japanese standard for special oil which can be used in 4-stroke motorcycle engine with one oil system for engine, gearbox and wet clutch system. Fluid is non-friction modified.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

+1 to Shell Rotella. It's designed for diesel engines but meets the needs for a motorcycle. No anti friction components to screw up your clutch but tones of detergent capability.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Bring it on down, I'll show you how to do it.
        Can also help guide you through some of the other stuff that needs to be done.
        Always nice to meet another GSer in the area. We have about 20 GSers within about a 50-mile radius now.

Have you had this bike for a while or is it a recent purchase?

Yes, your sales person was correct, fortunately, most of the automotive oil with the "wrong" formulation is 30w or thinner, which should not be used in the bike, anyway, so that is not much of a problem.

Shell Rotella (diesel oil) is a forum favorite, then it comes down to whether you want 15w-40 "dino" oil or 5w-40 synthetic. Buy it by the gallon jug, it will take the whole jug, so the cost will be about $12 or $21, which isn't too bad either way.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I got the bike last June. Put a Vance & Hines 4-into-1 header on it, had the carbs rejetted, and put 4 K&N filters on. Runs very nice. Oil doesn't really look that bad but I like to err on the side of caution when it comes to that. Can pick up some of the Rotella next time I stop at a truck stop (I drive a big truck).
          IMG_5129.jpg

Comment

This overview is a it old but covers most of the issues
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Bring it on down, I'll show you how to do it.
              Id be on that like a duckonajunebug ! Show up right before dinner....
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
              X