Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head light alignment.

HI Folks,
    82 Gs1100L, Had the bike in this afternoon for it's annual road worthness test M.O.T here, N.C.T. in the South, similar to P.S.V. for commercials, so the tester tell's me the headlight is shining UP on the wrong side and that this is an imported bike. Being imported was not the problem, I expect he just knew his bike's and was just overwhelmed with emotion it being an "L" from the U.S. but he did realises the bike was built for another market, where you guys in the U.S drive on the Right, we drive on the Left. So he passed the bike and said to get it sorted for the next test. He also said guys come in with tape on their headlight which also passes. Having heard of this many times before but never having encountered the problem, I looked the headlight glass later and can find no different pattern on the glass from one side to the other, no L or R and would expect it's not the reflector. Anyone shine any LIGHT on the matter ? I'm completely in the dark !!......as alway's,,,,,,,thank's guy's.

This might help

This video might help you.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

They use headlight deflectors on cars to get them past an mot perhaps they will fit.
      Although the video in jsandidge post looks the best option.
      Travel Spot - independent advice and motoring services for the UK motorist driving to and from the Continent.
      Last edited by fastbysuzuki; 07-02-2016, 05:26 PM.
      The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
      1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
      past bikes. RF900
      TL1000s
      Hayabusa
      gsx 750f x2
      197cc Francis Barnett
      various British nails

Comment

Before you make any changes, try shining your light on a wall to see what you actually have.

Some of the lights that were available here had the reverse of what was shown in the video. That is, the beam rose on the right side, where you need it on the left. Other lights had a beam that looked like the top of a bow-tie. They were pretty much straight across the top, but dropped a bit in the center. Still others just projected a rather rectangular box out in front that did not rise on either side.

If you have one of the latter two, it might not need much of an adaptation, but the first one should definitely be changed. The problem there is that the "L" bikes had a smaller-than-'normal' size, which will be harder to find. It might be necessary to source a full-size 7" headlight shell AND BRACKETS from an "E" or "G" bike, then install a UK-approved lens/reflector for your H4 bulb.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi folks,
          thanks for the reply's/help, I really do appreciate it, look on you all as personal friends by now, get a read/chat most every night, some might have differing opinions/views from time to time but all here for the same reason, that being our love of motorcycles and motorcycling. Should be saying but I'm very happy with the headlight the way it is, it's the examiner who wasn't happy with it so I suppose it's therefore my problem but gotta say, even in the video I didn't find the glare hard to detect at all, but what do I know, no doubt it shouldn't been there at all, therefore I suppose I took the route of least resistance when I ordered,eBay, and received today, Eurolight's headlight beam adaptions.
          Keep them safe till I go for the next test!
          So if you are about here an meet an old Todger on a GS an looks like he thinks he's the king and queen combined on his own side of the road and forgets to dip, you think, its probably me.

Comment

I would have told him it's reversed, for when people see it in the rear view mirror...

Comment

Very good, LOL, that was a good laugh!

Comment

Working...
              X