Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head Gasket

Hello all,

I recently replaced the valve cover and head gasket on my suzuki gs 650. I torqued everything to specification and it is still leaking oil. I believe oil is coming out of head nut 5 (the middle exhaust clutch side nut). Please look at the picture of the head gasket. A little bit of oil is leaking from it and their is a ton of yellowish gunk.

I am going to take it apart, check if the cylinder head is warped, clean, and replace the washers. This is my first bike and the only thing I've worked on besides a bicycle. Anything else I should check or look out for?

Thanks for your help

IMG_0801.jpg

Not really sure what the yellow is other than a dodgy gasket who's gaskets have you used?
    As you say the head needs checking for warpage I have not worked on a 650 so I am assuming the washers you speak of are the copper ones if they are not badly damaged you can clean them up then heat them upto cherry red in colour then drop them into cold water that will anneal them (makes copper more pliable) and reuse.
    there is many posts on using aftermarket gaskets and their quality or lack of it. If you have not used genuine gaskets then many posts will advise you do.
    when you have stripped it you will need to renew the base gasket as you will break the seal when you remove the head.
    hope the rebuild goes well.
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

Thank you fastbysuzuki

I was only able to find an aftermarket Vesrah gasket. It really was crumby. When I took off the cylinder head part of the gasket came off with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Montana View Post
        Thank you fastbysuzuki

I was only able to find an aftermarket Vesrah gasket. It really was crumby. When I took off the cylinder head part of the gasket came off with it.
        There was at some time VESRAH copy's being sold perhaps you have been unlucky in picking up one of those.
        if the 650 has the tear drop orings between the cylinder and crank case I would get Suzuki ones as those from a dodgy kit have failed along with the cylinder orings
        suzuki gaskets are more expensive for sure but they work.
        The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
        1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
        past bikes. RF900
        TL1000s
        Hayabusa
        gsx 750f x2
        197cc Francis Barnett
        various British nails

Comment

Originally posted by Montana View Post
          Hello all,

I recently replaced the valve cover and head gasket on my suzuki gs 650. I torqued everything to specification and it is still leaking oil. I believe oil is coming out of head nut 5 (the middle exhaust clutch side nut). Please look at the picture of the head gasket. A little bit of oil is leaking from it and their is a ton of yellowish gunk.

I am going to take it apart, check if the cylinder head is warped, clean, and replace the washers. This is my first bike and the only thing I've worked on besides a bicycle. Anything else I should check or look out for?

Thanks for your help

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46396[/ATTACH]

Did you retorque after a few heat cycles ?
          I got a full half turn after a few hundred miles.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
          X