Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new to me/used lockset has broken gas lid dust gate

Hi all,

I just purchased a used lockset off ebay to eliminate a lot of keys.

(My bike had different keys for seat/helmet lock, gas tank, ignition plus the aftermarket trunk on the back.)

The new lockset all works with the same key (all on 226) but the new gas tank cap has a problem with the dust gate on the lock --the little metal flap that seals off the inside of the lock doesn't want to open unless you stick the key in at an angle and push it to the side.

Per the locksmith they claim I cannot just remove the dust gate.

Does anyone know if this is true ?

Is it possible for me to re-key the perfectly working gas cap I have to fit the new key by moving wafers over?

sean

Dont know, but if it moves aside with a little key wiggle then why sweat it would be my approach.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Have you tried lubricating the flap?

WD-40 is not really a "lubricant", but it might free things up enough to get them moving.

THEN you can use some proper lube to keep the flap moving.

Comment

It seems like one of the two hinges on the dust flap is broken. to get the flap open you need to hold the key at the top of the keyhole at close to a 50 degree angle and push in to get it to open. Its not easy.

Both myself and the locksmith sprayed wd40 into the lock, no effect.

Comment

Working...
        X