Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dropped bike for the first time! What happened here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropped bike for the first time! What happened here...

Hey guys,

So it happened. Today was my first drop (on my second) bike, my week old '82 GS750E. Basically I was in my parking garage, tilted to the left and couldn't hold her up so down she went. DROP. After getting her upright, I visually inspected if critical happened. So far it looks like just a scrape on the clutch lever, still pulls in fine, no damage to the bars area and the shift lever and pegs seems okay.

However I noticed the some fluids came out during the fall, and under the engine on the right side, I found this:

IMG_1136.jpg

Any idea what this tube is that's sticking out?

Battery vent?

Comment

Yep, looks like a battery vent line to me. Might want to check if it's still connected to the battery.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Thank you guys, I'll go check it out.

Comment

It's better vented like that as opposed to it being on the frame somewhere venting acidic gasses.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
          Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Wow I totally forgot to follow up and thank you guys for the help.

The tube was exactly what you guys said it was. Looks like the PO had the battery replaced and whoever installed the new battery, connected an extra long vent tube.

I made sure it was on tight and trimmed it up a bit, stopping about an inch or two before the clamp that holds it in place.

Comment

Bikes aren't supposed to stand up right, they only have 2 wheels!

Comment

Working...
              X