Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chasing mysterious running issues - it's the simple things that drive you mad...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chasing mysterious running issues - it's the simple things that drive you mad...

I have had a lot of trouble with my 1983 GS850GL this year.

It would not run WELL - It would not re-start - it would not run at high RPMs
    Then the problem would stop - and it would run kinda okay for a few days...
    It was so bad I didn't trust it. I was unable to ride it to a GS rally in June (sad for me)

SO - I decided to start over and get it done right.
    I have
    -- adjusted the valves-
    --new air filter
    --rebuilt the carbs (even though they seemed remarkable clean inside) with all new o-rings and a strip & dip with an ultrasonic cleaner
    --all holes in jets have been cleared manually with a wire of correct size.
    --new boots both intake and exhaust with new orings
    --installed new plugs (checked the gap 3 times)

Here's the ONLY thing I have found that may have been causing the problem --

The last time (3rd) I removed the plugs and checked the gaps the number 3 spark plug wire came apart in my hand

So I clipped it back ; and reassembled it - nice and tight now .

Carbs go back on this weekend - right now they are fully cleaned and assembled on the bench (I ran outta time last night)

I hope this is the answer...
    Currently in the Stable :
    2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
    1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
    - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Think of it this way. You're now ahead of the game on doing your regular maintenance.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

You going to meet us in Missouri?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If you have not already done it, I suggest that you cut back a piece of the other 3 spark plug leads where they screw into the caps as well, even though they appear OK.

That fresh "tight fit" on a new piece of plug wire does make a difference!
        1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          You going to meet us in Missouri?

It's not running -- yet -- But even so I don't think I can make it
          My new target is the BC Rally in '17

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
          If you have not already done it, I suggest that you cut back a piece of the other 3 spark plug leads where they screw into the caps as well, even though they appear OK.

That fresh "tight fit" on a new piece of plug wire does make a difference!
          ​That's next on my "to do" list -

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

for fun too you could check the resistance of the plug caps....
            if the wires are loose in them, they may have created heat, and ruined the resistors...I am amazed by how many caps are out of range, and have taken to replacing them with NEW NGKs

Comment

It runs !! Happy happy joy joy

Finished the carb rebuild and reinstalled -
              Check ALL spark wires for tightness (only the one was bad)
              Started the bike and it RAN - Then went for a shake down ride (MUCH JOY )
              It runs really well right now..
              I think it may a bit rich but I will tune it over the next few weeks a bit better.
              I have the mixture screws out 2-3/4 turns right now (started at 3 full turns out)
              Synch is close but not perfect - I really struggled getting 1&2 to match 3&4

I think I need to do the idle drop method for better rich/lean settings .. that should help

BUT the bike pulls strong all the way up to red-line !

I need to ride it and de-kink it now ...

(If only the carb fairy would visit and fine tune my mixtures )

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

congrats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                  (If only the carb fairy would visit and fine tune my mixtures )
                  The carb fairy's ride is currently puking oil. Diagnosis is in process to enable a ride to Missouri.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

A couple years ago after discovering varying plug colors, I ended up checking the coils and wires. I tested them per the manual, and one coil secondary side tested as being bad as measured from plug cap to plug cap. I went further and checked the caps and wires individually and found corrosion on all connections, and one bad cap resistor.
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Now only confusion and some sadness...

I am about to give up on this thing...

Yesterday it ran pretty well -- so today (after I posted my joyfullness) I decided to ride the bike to work as the weather is great.

Started right up -- idled on choke for about 2-3 minutes and then away I went.
                      It ran so poor I don't know what to think... I changed NOTHING since yesterday afternoons ride.
                      Today -- it was running like on 3 cylinders - killing on me at stop lights - and had little power.

WHAT THE HECK !?!?!?!?

Anyone want a pretty good bike that needs a little understanding ....

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        The carb fairy's ride is currently puking oil. Diagnosis is in process to enable a ride to Missouri.

My goal is to get this bike running well enough to make next years Brown County Rally on it.... seems like an impossibility somedays...

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

Idled on choke for 3 minutes seems awfully long. Air leaks?
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                            Idled on choke for 3 minutes seems awfully long. Air leaks?

Maybe not that long -- And it was idling at about 2000 RPM (barely on the enricher circuit)
                            It was as long as it takes to make into the garage, slip on my jacket and close the garage door...Maybe 2 minutes tops..
                            As for air leaks -- I redid the airbox Sunday before reinstalling the carbs, NEW airbox boots, ..I can't imagine how or where ...

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

Well, at least you know what it's not. LOL. That's a start. Some ideas. Could be heat soak on some of the electronics as in ignition box, pickups or coils. For diagnostics purposes try running with the ignition cover off, swap coils and use a can of compressed air on the ignition box to cool it when the problem shows it's ugly head. The obvious, not likely but easy to check. Check for a chafed wire somewhere, bad connectors or poor fuel supply. Good luck.
                              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Working...
                              X