Throttle tube clicks forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle tube clicks forward

So I was installing an aftermarket grip, and I suppose I rotated the throttle too hard, because now, with pressure, the throttle makes a small click and moves forward past where it snaps back.

It seems to be working fine, no noticeable issues, however if i let the throttle back to its zero position, with some force, it will move a little more with a snapping sound.

Obviously, the answer is not to put pressure on it, but I sometimes notice it when I am shifting.

Any thoughts on what I may have broken, if its a bad thing, or any possible way to fix it? I am going to guess that its a bit of a plastic stopper I accidentally went past.

Thanks for any input.

Sounds like you have broken something at the front of the grip tube (where the cable connects). You may have a different tube on there which is not a perfect match for the GS cable tunnel.

Take off the switch block and investigate.
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Try grabbing the new throttle grip and pulling outward so that you have about 1/8 to 1/4 inch clearance. The rubber grip shouldn't be touching the switch housing.

Happens on my FZ1 every now and then and will prevent the throttle from snapping back.

Comment

Open up the housing and inspect the tube....
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
          Open up the housing and inspect the tube....
          +1. Regardless of how or why, something is not right in the throttle housing and needs to be looked after. Hoping it will go away seldom works well and it isn't hard to get the housing open for a look.

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I guess its my lack of understanding and fear of breaking things that prevents me from taking things apart on the bike right away. though its times like this i scream at myself. then state "this is all that is here????" when I do open it.

So reporting back, the issue is the channel where the throttle cable sits in, is starting to ware through the stopper that it rests on at the front of the housing. (to the right of the screw hole, right above the hole where the throttle cable goes).

The screw may have also been a little loose. So I tightened the screw and will keep an eye on it. I will probably try to part out a used housing just in case anyways.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Comment

Working...
            X