brake disasembly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake disasembly?

so i was wondering if anybody has a good write up or resources on how to change out the brakes front and rear? i did some searching but couldn't find what exactly i was looking for. also is there a guide of how to bleed the lines or what to look for on if you should replace them? i see a lot of people saying that there are two master cyclinders, but i dont see to see one on the left hand side of the handle bars... and is it possible to take the back wheel off with out having to take the exhaust off? my old bike i had to take the exhaust off and it was a huge pain...
    1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Enjoy.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Yes, on many bikes, there ARE two master cylinders, but your bike was blessed with only ONE.

Take a good look at your rear wheel, you will see that it is a drum brake that has linkage, not hydraulics.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hey Josh,

As Steve says, you have a rear drum...that's why you don't see the second Master Cylinder.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
          Hey Josh,

As Steve says, you have a rear drum...that's why you don't see the second Master Cylinder.

Ed
          ahh now that make sense. thanks guys! i did notice that my fluid was very low so once my parts get in i will be bleeding and adding fluid as well!
          1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Comment

Changing out the fluid takes no parts, just a bottle of brake fluid and a little bit of time. If the old fluid isn't clear it's past due.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

i checked this fluid this morning and it was very low but actually fairly clear, so some one had replaced it at some point but much lower than it should be for sure
              1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Comment

so I took the wheel off to check out the brakes and im glad i did and doubly glad that i have new brakes already on the way, there is not much left on these old pads!

I was also thinking that since there did not seem to be a write up on the rear drum brakes that i would take it upon myself to make one, well see how that goes...

1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Comment

That wear looks uneven. It's a simple remove and replace and connecting the springs. That's probably why no one has written it up; I didn't see a write up either. Go for it!

Ed
                  Last edited by GSXR7ED; 07-23-2016, 07:51 AM.
                  GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                  Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                  Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

got my new brakes in today and swapped them all out. back one were pretty easy. front gave me a bit of trouble getting it off and the pads were thick but had very uneven wear on them. they had deep gashes in both pads and one edge was 'mushroomed' out. they didnt look good to me so im glad i got new ones in there.
                    1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Comment

Can't tell for sure about those rear shoes but they don't look all that worn. I'd save them for backups unless they are worn really unevenly.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                      X