11e seat lock malfunction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

11e seat lock malfunction

I finally have a problem with my beautiful '82 11e.

I can't remove the seat. This is the infamous '3-hand' design, with the key in the rear and two side latches. The lock is not releasing the rear latch. I hear and feel very little when the key is turned 90 degrees to the right.

Should an extra pair of hands fail to make a difference, all I can think to do is take a drill to the keyhole.

Any suggestions, experience in this area?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Try a thin lubricant on the latches and a bit in the key hole. Hope you'll get it going
    1980 GS1100E

Comment

WD-40, you think? Right in the keyhole?
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Powdered graphite.
        Alan

sigpic
        Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
        Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
        Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
        Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

If it still gives you issues, try something Teflon based or PB Blaster.
          1980 GS1100E

Comment

Get your wife or a friend to work the 2 latches, push DOWN on the very rear of the seat while turning the key to unlock. After you get the seat off, remove those 2 latch assemblies underneath & throw them in a trash can!!!!
            Ray.

Comment

I'll certainly try that. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                Get your wife or a friend to work the 2 latches, push DOWN on the very rear of the seat while turning the key to unlock. After you get the seat off, remove those 2 latch assemblies underneath & throw them in a trash can!!!!
                Ray.
                Well after quite a bit of drilling, rear lock is still latched. Any tips?

Comment

Working...
                X