Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random Questions For GS1100E

Hey dudes,

Long story short, my GS750 was smashed to **** the other day. ******* ran a stop and I plowed right into their driver side. Luckily I'm fine but the forks ripped, frame is twisted and engine is leaking everywhere.

Anyway I'm looking at getting a 1982 GS1100E now that one is available in my area. I got the 750 because it was a sweet deal and crazy low miles. Here are some questions for ya:

1. I had a rear spoke hub, sprok and rotor from a 79 GS750E that I was intending to use swap onto my 82 750E. Does this hub mate up with a 82 1100E? I noticed that the 1100E has an alloy-looking swingarm, so not sure if it fits...

2. I really dug the tank on my 750 that had those "indents" built into it. I'd love to swap that tank onto it and it looks like the earlier 1100Es had that style tank. The bike I'm looking at has the sport looking tank with plastics that connect into the seat.

3. Anything else I should be aware of? I read that the 1100s engine are equally as bulletproof as the 750s, just the same ****ty charging system. Anyone that has ridden both bikes comment on the difference in weight?

Thanks all you guys, ride safe out there.

Accepted wisdom is that the '83 11e is a little more bulletproof than the '82 (welded crank, etc.) Even so, my '82, with just over 30k on the clock, runs beautifully, even with what I think is the original charging system.

Why would you want to change the swing arm? And you could grow to love the '82 tank and side covers.

Red, Champagne, or is original paint long gone?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Sorry if I wasn't clear before, I'm not looking to change the swingarm, just swap rear hubs. Basically a spoked 79 750E rear hub onto 1100E. I knew it worked on my 82 750E.

I got nothing against the tank on 1100E, it's just that I really liked the tanks on the 81 1100E and on my 82 750E. They have a more "retro" look while the newer tanks started to look sportsbike-y.

Thanks for the info so far though man.

Comment

Working...
      X