Progrips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progrips

I've got my eye on Progrips and thought I'd hear which models you guys are using. The Progrips website does a poor job of talking about materials - they almost never mention the word 'gel' but the descriptions on vendor sites say some of them are gel grips. Then there's single density and double density - are they all the same softness on the outside, but the double density are harder underneath? Is the softer density what people are calling gel?

Which ones have you used?

I'm looking for something that has potential to absorb some vibration w/o feeling too soft. I would choose the 713 or 723 if I knew they had the gel or vibration damping properties. It bugs me that the 'RVGS' grips don't have the softer compound across the width of the grip...

*I don't expect the grips to 'cure' any vibration issues; I understand that carb tuning/syncing/balancing does wonders for reducing vibration and have properly re-torqued my engine bolts, etc. The vibration is not bad on my bike, especially with handlebar balancers, but I have CTS in both hands and want to mitigate as much as possible while not losing any sportiness in the handling characteristics of my bike.

713:

723:
    Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2016, 10:30 AM.

I have used several sets of the 724 dual density drips. They look like the 723's but have two densities, with the inner piece harder than the outer sleeve. I like them very much, they are a huge improvement over the typical cast iron OEM Suzuki grips. They are as comfortable as grips can be, nice and gummy for good grip and they do minimize vibration to some extent.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

grips.jpg the ones on the left are new to me -they were recommended by my bike-store-They seem pretty good....but the ones on the right(on a 400 twin for two years) I do really like. They have a sharp-appearing diamond-surface...No chance of throttle slippage with sweat or oil even on a hot day standing still IMO with bare hands (though I almost always wear gloves, even leather can get slimey in rain? anyways I'd recommend the right ones to anyone, the left ones are ok.

Comment

According to the ProGrip catalogue for 2016, both model 713 as well as 723 are only single density types. Model numbers 717, 719, 721 and 724 (amongst others) are dual density types. The inside is more dense, with the outside being a softer gel material.

You can PM me your e-mail address, and I will send you the catalogue (it is 70MB in size).
        1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]46800[/ATTACH] the ones on the left are new to me -they were recommended by my bike-store-They seem pretty good....but the ones on the right(on a 400 twin for two years) I do really like. They have a sharp-appearing diamond-surface...No chance of throttle slippage with sweat or oil even on a hot day standing still IMO with bare hands (though I almost always wear gloves, even leather can get slimey in rain? anyways I'd recommend the right ones to anyone, the left ones are ok.
          The ones on the right are 780's,I have the left ones on my 750,they are 714.I love them.Have a set of what looks close to the 837 on my 1000,an earlier version?Really wish I had gotten the 714 again,they are a bit fatter than the 837 and seem to be better vibe dampers to.
          Last edited by Guest; 07-31-2016, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Do the 'soft' Progrips last, and does the softness make it feel like the grip moves in your hands?

Comment

I've been running Renthals on the 1150. I may look at Progrips.
              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Anyone here try Avon grips?
                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

I ordered the 724's - for $11 I'll give them a shot. The dual compound seems to make sense; I have a cheap pair of 'Honda Replica' grips that are pretty soft and the grip structure feels like it twists and stretches (despite not actually moving on the throttle shaft).

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Garfield View Post
                    Do the 'soft' Progrips last, and does the softness make it feel like the grip moves in your hands?
                    I have 30,000km on the set of 724's on my GSXR1000 and they are about due for replacement. I don't notice any squirming or flex at all with them.

Mark
                    1982 GS1100E
                    1998 ZX-6R
                    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                      I have 30,000km on the set of 724's on my GSXR1000 and they are about due for replacement. I don't notice any squirming or flex at all with them.

Mark
                      Awesome, good to hear - thanks.

Comment

I'm using Pro Grip 699 gel - they're awesome. About 8k miles on them so far. Going to try dual density for my next set.
                        1980 GS1100E

Comment

I have the 713s on my 650G, and the only problem I have had with them in the 5 years they have been on was with the new iCruise throttle aid. The grip was twisting on the throttle sleeve where the ridges of the throttle tube stopped, and throttle position was not being maintained. A new to me throttle tube and new glue sorted that out.
                          '83 GS650G
                          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I use the 713's on just about everything, Like 9.99 from Cycle Gear and really comfortable either bare handed or with gloves. They do not feel like they move if installed correctly. I also put a set of bar ends on the bars just to give a little bit more surface to the end of the bar and also to protect the bars from getting hit. Hope this helps.
                            GS Score Card
                            4-400 Series GS's
                            3-500 Series
                            1-600 Series
                            1-700 Series
                            4-800 Series
                            1-1000 Series
                            2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
                            sigpic

Comment

Ive been using 713's for years. Like 'em.
                              Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                              Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                              Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Working...
                              X