Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike sat for two weeks, now it won't idle [with video]

Edit: 1980 GS1000E, ~30k miles

The bike sat for two weeks without use, which shouldn't be a big deal, but today it wouldn't hold idle like usual.

Typically it needs about 3/4 choke to start, starts to about 1500-2000rpm, and as it warms I ease the choke back to closed and she idles around 1100rpm.

Today (after recharging the battery), the idle was chaotic. Took way longer to start, nearly killing the battery, and then it wouldn't hold a specific RPM. The choke also seems to be sliding back to closed on its own, even with the friction lock as tight as it will go. So I have to hold the choke out to keep it running- even after the engine warmed up, if I let the choke it at all, it would chug and die without holding 1200rpm.

Thoughts? Think I need to rip the carbs out?

I took a video here- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPPfdveziCc
    Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2016, 09:21 PM.

What bike is it, Jeff? You should put year/model in your signature line, or at least in your post. Thanks.

Comment

Edited, thanks! 80 GS1000E

Comment

Sounds like an electrical issue to me.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Well, now I feel dumb!

I checked the plugs, and then went to pull the tank. Discovered the vacuum tube on the petcock had come off (the difficult vertical one), so it was probably choking fuel. Idles perfectly now!

Comment

Woo hoo, good feeling to find it's something simple!
            Had my plug wires crossed and thought the worst, I was really glad but embarrassed to figure it out.
            Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            2003 FJR 1300A
            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Awesome, it's always great when it's something simple but yet another diagnostic to add to the file folder. We were out yesterday on the dual sports, all of a sudden I lost my clutch...totally stiff. Sat on the side of the trail for 10 minutes diagnosing when I looked down at the clutch cover and noticed a rock was stopping the lever at the clutch cover from engaging..........man did that ever feel good.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
              X