Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Throttle/Idle Cable replacement, length, DIY, aftermarket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle/Idle Cable replacement, length, DIY, aftermarket?

I need to replace these cables, as one of the 90°-bends on the grip side is broken. It was made out of plastic.

However, I have a bit of trouble to find a replacement; because...

a) I can't find reliable information on the length of these cables for the GS550 (length includes bend?)...
    b) I suspect the ones to be replaced are not stock (plastic bends, color)
    b) Most aftermarket cables come with black bends - Aside from the fact that I like the polished look much more than black bends, these are often made out of plastic, but...
    c) ...Plastic is a no-go for a replacement.

The few shops around here don't stock this item, so I need to order this - and I'd like to avoid the hassle of returning it. I'm tempted to build these cables by myself.

Q:

1. Do you have any recommendations for aftermarket throttle/idle cables?
    2. Anybody has experience with DIY for these? (Preferably not by butchering an existing cable).
    3. Do the length specifications usually include the bends?
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Originally posted by roeme View Post
    Do you have any recommendations for aftermarket throttle/idle cables?
    Do the length specifications usually include the bends?
    You might want to look here they do slinky glide cables (slide through the outer better) on the info button it gives the inner and outer lengths.
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

Buy Suzuki 58300-47001 - THROTTLE CABLE. This OEM part is guaranteed by Suzuki's limited part warranty ✓ FREE Shipping on qualified orders - Partzilla.com

On a vintage GS, lack of aftermarket alternatives (I didn't bother check), generally mean that you can get genuine Suzuki parts. I would stick with these as they seem to be a bit superior to aftermarket cables, such as those from Motion Pro.

Comment

Thanks guys.

I'll try to check out the genuine parts through a local Suzuki shop here, this way at least I can be sure that the cables are the way I like them.

I've got no particular preference re. Genuine/Aftermarket, but I did expect this to be a somewhat commodity item and so easy shopping, possibly even getting one with a braided outer finish, but yeah.

Being satisfied with a "Slinky Glide" Clutch cable, and them appearing to have the bends in the style I'm looking for, I'll add them to the short list.
        #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
        #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
        #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
        #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Working...
        X