No announcement yet.

GS750 not faster than 80km/h, with lots of struggling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jumping back a few posts, when you sprayed the pipes and said #2 is cooler, #2 is clutch side?
    Clutch 1, 2,3,4 Throttle
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Yes, 2 is clutch side.

Comment

Originally posted by Drummert View Post
        I took the measure for the plug leads from the leads into the coil to the end of the lead, so plug end. I already thought this would give infinite, but I saw a guy do this on a youtube video somewhere, so I figured I might as well try. So from one plug end to another plug end should work and give about 15k ohm?

I just measured the condensors by charging them with a resistance test and then switching back to dc voltage. Both seem to work... Hmm....
        Static testing of cold condensors can be misleading. A fairly common failure mode is that the trouble only starts after some time running.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
          Static testing of cold condensors can be misleading. A fairly common failure mode is that the trouble only starts after some time running.
          Sounds like what is happening to my bike. Maybe i'll just order some new ones, for save measure. They're not expensive anyway. I already figured out I'll need to order the screws online anyway. I tried getting the bigger washer of another screw, but there's no way I get it past the thread. Looking at the parts list at cmsnl I see the washer are already on the screw.

Also, while im there, should I get some new points in there as well? One of the sets visibly has deposit on one side and a pit on the other. The other set looks o.k.

On a sidenote: I tried testing the resistance between the spark plug leads, and the connector from my meter broke of inside the terminal (one of these plastic, non-fixable types, yeey for cheap meters..).

Comment

Originally posted by Drummert View Post
            Sounds like what is happening to my bike. Maybe i'll just order some new ones, for save measure. They're not expensive anyway. I already figured out I'll need to order the screws online anyway. I tried getting the bigger washer of another screw, but there's no way I get it past the thread. Looking at the parts list at cmsnl I see the washer are already on the screw.

Also, while im there, should I get some new points in there as well? One of the sets visibly has deposit on one side and a pit on the other. The other set looks o.k.

On a sidenote: I tried testing the resistance between the spark plug leads, and the connector from my meter broke of inside the terminal (one of these plastic, non-fixable types, yeey for cheap meters..).
            The condensor controls the arcing at the points/switch. Deposits on the points are a signal that a condensor may not be doing it's job. All points wear with time but if both are the same age and one is burning significantly more than the other, the condensor is suspect.
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Ok, then I'll replace the condensers as well. If necessary, I'll replace the points later on. Found a cheap new pair close to home.

Comment

So I got new condensers and new points on the bike today after having a lot of struggle again with the screws (an impact driver really IS necessary whilst working on these bikes XD).
                She never fired up so easily. Points 1-4 gave 3 arcs and then, no more arcing, bike running happily.

2 and 3 are firing now as well judging from the blue smoke I get XD I'll take it out for a ride tomorrow to clear things up a bit.

Now, I read somewhere that on these old machines, lots of people advance the timing more than the manual would specify, to account for wear? Is this true? I can't seem to find the damn post anymore.. Anyway, it definitely seems te be running a lot smoother keeping the timing slightly in front of the 'F' mark (meaning to the right side of it).

Anyway, thanks for the help so far guys! Working on this bike and being on this forum really taught me a lot.

Comment

Adjust your timing to spec- it will run even better
                  and check the advance
                  You are using a timing light?
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Yes I am!

I'll do that. I noticed some ticking every now and then and I'm not sure whether its timing related or a wheel bearing somewhere..

Comment

Working...
                    X