New buyer gs850 enquiry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New buyer gs850 enquiry

Hello. I am currently looking at a 1979 gs850 to buy and was hoping to get some advise/ opinions please. The bike has done over 100000km and has a top end rebuild,the owner has receipts. The advertisement reads that it has had a piston kit, new cam chain + associated gaskets and seals. I Would be buying the bike site unseen but am told it runs nicely. Would this work done, generally mean, the bike would be good for many more km's? Is There anything that I should enquire about knowing the mileage and work done? The price is pretty good. Any info much appreciated.Mike.

One of the first things that I would ask would be "why was that work done so soon?"

Other things to ask:
    - when was the last carb rebuild/refresh
    - when was the last valve adjustment
    - age of the tyres
    - age of the brake pads
    - when was the last brake fluid change
    - reserve the right to check the charging system before handing over payment, if possible
    - do the auto-cancel turn signals work

Many others, I'm sure, as others will soon note.

By the way,

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

GS850s are near bulletproof. The engines in particular are hard to kill via any means short of severe neglect. Mileage means nothing, one with 100,000 km probably runs better than one with 1,000 km. For me, the most important consideration is overall condition of the bike. Do all of the instruments and lights work properly? Has the wiring harness been butchered? Is the inside of the gas tank rust-free? Is the seat in decent shape? Is there any damage to the frame or bodywork? These questions can't be answered sight unseen. I don't know about AU, but old GSes are common enough in the US that there's no reason to gamble on one.

If you do get it, be aware that it's a super terrific idea to get the bike caught up on its regular maintenance yourself: changing all of the fluids, rebuilding the brakes, adjusting the valves, etc. Unless you know and trust the seller (and their mechanic) with your life, you have no guarantee that any of that was done, or done properly.

See the mega-welcome in my sig. Welcome!
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

My 850 was not properly maintained by the PO at all. It has all the little problems that come with that history, small oil leaks, mists building up on the fins, the exhaust had to get a lot of attention, as well as the carbs and wiring. With over 65K on it the engine is still bulletproof, any RPMs, all day long. Best damn stuff ever made, along with Guzzis of the 80's and XS650s.

Comment

mikebgs, When purchasing a motorcycle, buying sight unseen can be OK if you are reasonably good with motorcycle mechanics. The term previous owner said is a red flag as most will tell you anything they think you want to hear. If there are receipts for the overhaul, fine but be skeptical. If you are capable of doing all the work that surely needs done, then you can be more comfortable. If not, find a person local to the bike to check it out otherwise perhaps a bike closer to you that you can check out first hand would be better. I am not saying the PO was a liar but my experience is that if they want to sell, they will represent the bike very favorably when the bike's actual condition may vary.

Comment

A major magazine (can't remember which one) made the claim that 50% of all vehicles for sale by private owner are misrepresented. Buyer beware. I can't believe that bike sellers are more honest than average.

Comment

Wymple makes a good point about misrepresentation. In my experience it cuts both ways.
              That piston kit could be a replacement ring or two and associated seals could mean anything.
              On the other hand he could have four new pistons in there, honed, valve seals cut and all new oem gaskets. In which case the value of the work is more than the market value of the bike and you would have to wonder why spend that amount and not recover it ?
              A possible scenario is that it was neglected, hence work needed at 100 000 km, the owner took a punt on a cheap and cheerful solution and it hasn't really solved the problem.
              Find someone who knows them to go look at it or get the vendor to post pics so we can have fun tearing it to bits from our armchairs
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Rule #1 - Sellers (previous owners) LIE !

Always refer to rule #1
                Currently in the Stable :
                2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

How far away from you is the bike? Still in Australia, or somewhere else?

In any event, if you post where the bike is, there MIGHT be a GSR member nearby that can inspect the bike for you. Happens occasionally here, both in the States and elsewhere.

Just a thought....

Comment

Hello thanks for the welcome and for the replies.The bike I was interested in is in Brisbane, 1000km away. I have made enquiries as to why the top end work was necessary but have not received a reply.i don't think I will follow it up at this point. It has no registration and would require transportation.
                    Im a new rider, 3 years and 30000km on a 400cc thumper, mostly commuting to work.I have a little experience with working on my own bike and am currently restoring a cb550 ,barn find.It's not far off now. Im considering the gs850 as my first larger bike. I appreciate all the info. all the best. Mike.

Comment

Working...
                    X