Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS1000 Chain Adjustment

Hey guys,

All my other GS's had shafts. I can hear the chain clinking around now and I have a lot of play. Whats the maintenance on a chain, chain adjustment and clean.
    I appears smiliar to a dirtbike. Remove, sit in gasoline, put chain back on, lubricate with chain grease.

Any help or how to list would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Caferob View Post
    Hey guys,

All my other GS's had shafts. I can hear the chain clinking around now and I have a lot of play. Whats the maintenance on a chain, chain adjustment and clean.
    I appears smiliar to a dirtbike. Remove, sit in gasoline, put chain back on, lubricate with chain grease.

Any help or how to list would be greatly appreciated.

That was 40 or more years ago. Chains are better now. Your 1000 came with O rings, but they are probably all dried up, most of them missing by now and all of the lube inside is long gone.
    Get new sprockets and a top of the line X ring chain, adjust it every 10,000 miles or so if it needs it, replace it and the sprockets about every 40,000.

The one on my BMW F800 has over 20,000 miles and hasn't needed any adjustment yet. It gets a lot of dirt, dust, mud and water crossings too.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
    X