Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello All. Need help getting my GS700 to start!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello All. Need help getting my GS700 to start!

Hey guys. I am in need of help getting my bike to start easier. I have a 1985 GS700E. It has dynojet stage 3 with K&N pods and supertrapp exhaust.
    My bike has a really hard time starting. I can crank it forever and ever to try and get it to start. I can drain the battery each time trying to start it. When the bike does eventually start, it drives great. Good power, no stumbling. Once the bike has started before and warm, it has no problem starting again. It seems to be only when cold.
    If I try to start it and blip the throttle over and over, it seems to have an easier time starting. Using the choke seems to make it worst. I have done the coil relay mod. I have good voltage at the coils and good spark at each cylinder. Plugs are new. Carbs have been torn apart and rebuilt with new Orings from cycleorings. I even bought 4 new intake boots. K&N pods are brand new.
    Could ignition timing being off cause this hard starting? I never touched the timing at all since I bought it so I assume its fine. Like I said, once started the bike runs great.
    Any input is welcome PLEASE

Some pics to get us started

Last edited by Guest; 11-24-2016, 09:34 PM.

Have you adjusted the valves.?
    Some good info here. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ve-750-Engines
    Last edited by steve murdoch; 11-24-2016, 09:46 PM.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Choke makes it worse....

Where do you have you pilot fuel screws set?

What size are your pilots?

Comment

Just three suggestions here:
        1. Adjust your valves. If they are tight (especially the intakes), it will be hard to start when cold.
        2. Verify your pilot screw settings. After rebuilding carbs, I set them to three turns out to start, then adjust as needed, they usually end up about 2 1/4-2 1/2 turns out.
        3. Adjust your starting technique. When valves and pilot screws are set properly, you will probably have to use a little "choke", but when using the "choke", you do NOT touch the throttle. No blipping, NOTHING. You adjust the engine speed with the "choke" lever.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

This is why you guys need to stop telling every new guy to adjust his valves

These bikes will go a long effin time with no valve adjustment. Check compression? Ok. But until thats wrong, why get into the engine. Not everybody has the same skillset.

Comment

Originally posted by DohcBikes View Post
            This is why you guys need to stop telling every new guy to adjust his valves

These bikes will go a long effin time with no valve adjustment. Check compression? Ok. But until thats wrong, why get into the engine. Not everybody has the same skillset.
            This one is screw adjust tappets. Pretty easy to check / adjust compared to shims and should be done before ripping into anything else.
            Current:
            Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
            VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
            And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Ok. Thats much better. I'll allow it.

Comment

These bikes will go a long effin time with no valve adjustment.
                You are very correct there, (for once), but it has to be correct to start with.

Once the valves are properly set, they WILL go for quite a while with no further adjustment, but if you wait until compression drops, it might be too late.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                  This one is screw adjust tappets. Pretty easy to check / adjust compared to shims and should be done before ripping into anything else.
                  I will disagree with you a bit, Hillsy. I would rather do a shim adjustment any day.

Not saying that one is easier than another, just that I would rather do shims.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    I will disagree with you a bit, Hillsy. I would rather do a shim adjustment any day.

Not saying that one is easier than another, just that I would rather do shims.

That's cool - I probably would as well but from a newbie perspective it's far easier to grasp the concept of being able to adjust the clearance with a nut and screw set-up rather than having to employ shim-math.

Also there's a greater chance of damaging cam lobes, etc if you take out the shims and then try and rotate the cams....
                    Current:
                    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Thanks guys. I have adjusted the valves. Many times before as well. Maybe I am doing it wrong? I use a standard feeler gauge. Is the tappet style feelers an easier way?

Comment

Not sure what the difference is between "standard" and "tappet style" feelers, but any feeler will work, as long as it's easy to put where it's needed.

One suggestion that is often made is to use TWO feelers at a time. There is just a bit of clearance in the rocker, so using two feelers and setting two clearances at once will prevent cocking the rocker sideways, which will affect clearance on the other valve.

One other tip is to set the clearances near the maximum. The specified clearance is 0.09-0.13mm. In inches, that would be 0.0035-0.0051". Depending on whether your feelers are inch or metric, just find the one that is close to the max. With your screw-type adjusters, you have the luxury of setting them to whatever you want, so just pick a number near the max and set them there.

There are a few advantages to setting them to max clearance:
                        1. The engine is VERY easy to start (assuming everything else is working properly)
                        2. Fuel mileage will go up just a little bit
                        3. It will take longer for the valves to travel through the clearance range, meaning you won't have to change the clearance as often.

The only disadvantage that I know of is that the absolute peak horsepower might be down just a bit.
                        This is usually only important to racers, and very few of us actually race on the street.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Ok thanks for the suggestions. I will do another valve clearance adjustment. I ordered a tappet style feeler gauge just to be sure. The tappet style is bent at an angle for easier insertion I ordered 0.004-0.005" feeler. Hopefully that is the one I needed. I will let you guys know how it goes
                          Last edited by Guest; 11-28-2016, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Where do you have you pilot fuel screws set?

What size are your pilots?
                            I haven't seen these questions answered yet and I suspect they are a good chunk of the problem. OP, what size pilot jets do you have in the carbs and where are the mixture screws set at?

Mark
                            1982 GS1100E
                            1998 ZX-6R
                            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                              I haven't seen these questions answered yet and I suspect they are a good chunk of the problem. OP, what size pilot jets do you have in the carbs and where are the mixture screws set at?

Mark
                              I used the dynojet stage3 jets. Not sure the exact number but whatever was included. Mixture screws have been adjusted using fast idle method already

Comment

Working...
                              X