Base Gasket Surface Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Base Gasket Surface Woes

I recently got these cylinders for my '78 GS750. They are bored to accommodate oversize pistons, so I am hoping to rescue these and not just 'look for another'. Got to cleaning them up last night; Base gasket came off really easy, head surface looks good....but i uncovered a PO's horrendous deeds underneath. Many of the scratches are deep enough to feel with a fingernail, but nothing sticks up above the surface. The whole mating surface is boogered up like this.
    I want this to get this right the first time and not have to tear it apart again. Will a machine shop be able to skim this, with the cylinders in the way?? (I know I have to think about adding additional base gasket thickness if they take much off).

Regards,
    Jason

To skim furface that the liners would have to be pressed out of the cylinder first. I wouldn't do it. I don't think you have much risk of leaks because the oil pressure goes up through the outer stud holes and are sealed by O-rings. I'd coat the base gasket with sealer and roll the dice.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      To skim furface that the liners would have to be pressed out of the cylinder first. I wouldn't do it. I don't think you have much risk of leaks because the oil pressure goes up through the outer stud holes and are sealed by O-rings. I'd coat the base gasket with sealer and roll the dice.
      I'd agree with what Ed said, they're not that deep. Where did you get the it from?
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

copper coat the base gasket.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          I've never heard of such a thing, interesting product.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thanks guys. It was an ebay purchase, so always a bit of a gamble! The cylinders themselves look great, measure round, and just need a light hone. The pistons that came with it are unknown make, ~69.5mm, high compression, and in good shape. They are in this thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ylinder-advice.
            If I can dig up some rings for those pistons I will probably go with this set up. Will probably end up having the pistons machined to lower compression ratio a little. There are a lot of unknowns, and it will take a little work and figuring.
            I also have the 850 cylinders and pistons I had been planning on swapping in, those would be a straight over swap. So right now I'm trying to decide which one to go with...
            Regards,
            Jason

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
              You can pay twice as much from a copy-cat product from Permatex.

Comment

yep. not a whole lotta pressure down there anyway.
                1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Mine was like that two years back. Sprayed the base gasket with hi temp aluminium paint. No problems so far.
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone, I feel more confident about using these jugs now!
                    Regards,
                    Jason

Comment

I dug a gouge into my 1000G, deeper than those, right where the O-ring meets the cylinders (of course, the ONE slip). I filled it with 1207B silicone, leveled it with a gloved finger and let it cure before reassembling. I have well over 10,000 miles on it since then, with no sign of a leak. Those scratches can be sealed, and they only have to hold whatever pressure your crankcase vent sees, plus some transient pulses from the pistons shoving air around. If the vent is routed to an airbox like stock, it'll be vacuum in the crankcase.

Even with scratches where the O-ring seals, these roller-crank GS engines only have to hold something like 8 psi of oil pressure. The way those O-rings fail is if they're made of the wrong material, absorb some oil, swell, and pop out of the O-ring seat. We know that OEM O-rings do not do this. We do not know of a non-OEM O-ring that does not. I know first hand, the Vesrah O-rings fail this way (on my 850). It's worth a few bucks to get the OEM O-rings, if your gasket kit isn't OEM.
                      Dogma
                      --
                      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                        Really sticky and gooey. Used to use it with steel head gaskets in the 70's. Came in a container with a round brush as well. Think I still have a can....
                        sigpic
                        09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                        1983 GS1100e
                        82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                        1980 GS1260
                        Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

There is s company that is called Copper gaskets unlimited ,send them your old base gasket. tell them how thick you want it and they will cut it out. Thicker if you want to drop the compression like if you have the head surfaced or thinner if you want to raise the compression a little. Copper coat both sides and you should not have a problem. This cylinder block had some pretty deep scratches also. I used them one time when someone had cut the head so much that the pistons were sticking out of the bores, and it rattled when running where the pistons were just touching the head. I had them cut the base gasket to give me -.010 below the head surface and ran perfectly. Used them on race bikes a lot. Just a thought.
                          sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Working...
                          X