Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stripped oil drain thread, options? (new pan/tap/...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if the teflon tape makes for a leak tight fix then drill the sump plug and lock wire it on, that way it may work loose a tiny bit but it wont come out.
    I would only use this as a temporary fix though until a more permanent solution is found.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

The torque on the plug is a mere 7 foot pounds. I use a torque wrench on mine and I don't exceed 7 ft pds.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I decided to change the oil pan, after testing that the exhausts and exhaust bolts aren't stuck.

They weren't, but you remember the PO bodge up there? Yeah, that has come back to not only bite my in the ass, but take a good chunk out of it. Separate thread will follow.

Anyway, bike on the side. All bolts were in good nick, no corrosion whatsoever. A pleasant change, for once.

Some crappy oil...

...and the remainer of the thread.

Screen looks good to my untrained eye, only minor crap on it (was old oil)

Took it out, cleaned up nicely and easily. New oil pan back on:

Cleaned the pipes for a bit as well. Impromptu "drying rack" made work a bit easier:

Had to discover a hole. But at least that looks patchable...

So the drain screw's good again, but I got new problems. *sigh* Will link in the new thread.
        #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
        #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
        #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
        #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Here's the thread about the PO bodge. Clicky.
          #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
          #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
          #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
          #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Working...
          X