Tach is giving up the ghost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach is giving up the ghost

My tach is getting to the end of its' life . I don't want to replace the entire instrument panel but would like to put a new tach in the existing housing. Is this possible?

Yes. You take the housing apart and put another one in. But first explain why your saying its ending its lifespan. Maybe its something other than its simply worn out. Takes a heck of a long time to wear one out i would think.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Also curious what you expect for a 'normal' life span for a tach.

As Chuck is asking, what makes you think it's about 'done'? Is it bouncy? Is it noisy? Lights don't work?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Replaceable, yes, required? Can't think of many reasons. As said, best describe your issue first.
        #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
        #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
        #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
        #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

It screeches like I'm killing a small animal and the needle starts vibrating like crazy. Sometimes, if I whack the side of the tach, it'll stop screeching for a couple miles and then start back up.

Comment

Noisy is putting it mildly - killing a small animal would be a good description of the screeching it does. I have a burnt out light on the speedo side that I need to replace but I figured I'd wait until I can resolve the tach issue at the same time. I put a new cable on hoping it was a cable issue but no change .

Comment

Take it out of the housing and remove the bezel. Then lube it up. Look thru this thread and see the pics on to remove the bezel and get into the guts.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Do you ever make it to the east coast? i have about 4 or 5 you could pick from that are from 750s and 850s. I think they would work. You are welcome to have one.
                David
                1998 Suzuki Bandit
                1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
                1978 GS1000 - gone
                1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                  Take it out of the housing and remove the bezel. Then lube it up. Look thru this thread and see the pics on to remove the bezel and get into the guts.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ening%20guages
                  When I took the cable off, there was a ton of lube on the end of the cable. My skills with a dremel are pathetic. I would not feel comfortable cutting the bezel off and then gluing it back together.

Comment

I should be out in your neck of the state some time in the next few months. I'll send you a PM when I have a better idea of when it's happening.

Originally posted by portdave View Post
                    Do you ever make it to the east coast? i have about 4 or 5 you could pick from that are from 750s and 850s. I think they would work. You are welcome to have one.

Comment

Never cut the plastic..thats just stupid. See posts 17 and 18 to see what the opening of the crimp is all about. I set the gauge on a folded up towel and use an arm to apply some pressure on the housing as I tap the crimp back down with a small screwdriver and a tack hammer. Setting the gauges on a towel keeps you from breaking the glass as your recrimping the bezel.

I crimp at a 12, 3, 6, and 9 oclock pattern and then go back and work the crimp back down from there.

Comment

Originally posted by trtsmb View Post
                        I should be out in your neck of the state some time in the next few months. I'll send you a PM when I have a better idea of when it's happening.
                        Sounds good. I could also help fix yours if you want. I have taken them apart before when I did redid the gauges awhile back.
                        David
                        1998 Suzuki Bandit
                        1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
                        1978 GS1000 - gone
                        1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Working...
                        X