Metal drill - sharpening / sharpeners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal drill - sharpening / sharpeners

I have some HSS metal drills i need to sharpen.
    I could buy new of course but i seem to be hell bent on seeing if these can be sharpened.

Can anyone recommend a "cheapish" drill sharpener ? they have bought and used ?
    UKJULES
    ---------------------------------
    Owner of following bikes:
    1980 Suzuki GS550ET
    1977 Yamaha RD 250D
    1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
    1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

I bought a used Plasplugs tool from E-Bay for about £15 - sharpens HSS drill bits, masonry bits, scissors, knives etc. Can't remember the model number but it had a picture of Tommy Walsh on the front - now ditched. It's not a high quality professional tool, but it's done me OK for about three years.
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

like this ?

Like this ? £24

plasplugs tommy walsh.jpg
      UKJULES
      1980 Suzuki GS550ET
      1977 Yamaha RD 250D
      1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
      1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

I posted a thread about this a year or so ago. Most people said those pencil sharpener type bit sharpeners don't work well. Better than nothing I suppose though.

In the past I've used one of these along with my bench grinder and it worked well. Getting everything all set up takes careful consideration though. I'm going to break mine back out since I've got a huge pile of bits that need a touch up. It's kind of fun but not if you are pressed for time.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I think your setup there is way beyond what I have or will have.
          I take your advice on the pencil sharpener type ones.

I do however think the one in my pic and used by the other chap
          Is similar in workings to yours albeit cheaply made.
          It sorts the angle out etc .

I am convinced it will do for what I need.

I was drilling holes for the new front chrome mudguard for my bike and
          Some of the drills were blunt. It is on perfectly now but it was
          Made harder by these blunt drills.

I too would almost enjoy sharpening my drill stock .
          I will report on how the device I buy works and update thread.
          UKJULES
          1980 Suzuki GS550ET
          1977 Yamaha RD 250D
          1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
          1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

I use a belt sander with a worn out belt, like 100 grit for both paddle bit and twist bit sharpening. If a portable angle grinder is handy that works as well. It takes some practice to get the angle right but my bits and chisels usually get a quick touch on the belt once or twice a week.
            The edge wont last quite as long but it has worked well for me.
            Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            2003 FJR 1300A
            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

A setup like Nessism shows works well. Trick is to get both flutes even. Then thinning the web. Start with bigger drills, as it's easier to get the technique down
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I found this neat thing in my father's garage. I've yet to use it.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I use the old Drill Doctor. Slower than hell on bigger bits, but they come out good. I use it on 1/2 inch or smaller bits. Larger than that I take my chances at the grinding wheel, and often make things worse.

Comment

As the drill bits are cheap but have worked ok I have done the following:

-Put drill in vice with a grinding stone in it. It is a cylindrical flat one so i can judge the angle.
                    -Set it running
                    -By eye sharpened the two edges on the blunt drill bits. Very lightly
                    rotated it away at the right angle. (As per a youtube post)

I am yet to test them but just wanted to know - can it be done.
                    I will test them soon in anger.

And some money saved if it works for the chain and sprockets for next year ......
                    UKJULES
                    1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                    1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                    1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                    1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

I worked with a busy tool and die shop at a large factory for a lot of years. We had a Drill Dr. but only a couple of guys who were any good with it. It got to the point that dull drills were pitched in a box until one of those guys had a free day.
                      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

My father could put a mean edge on just about any drill bit using a bench grinder.
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Sharpening a drill by hand with a bench grinder and Dorkburger's dad's tool is easy with practice.
                          There is alot on you tube showing how it's done.
                          I prefer sharpening by hand but I do have one of Nessism's tool and it is awesome as well.
                          I've never been impressed with the Drill Doctor. It's like the V stones in my fishing knife sheath.
                          Alan

sigpic
                          Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                          Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                          Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                          Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

I've always done them by hand and eye. Sometimes it can be fun, finding a new angle that cuts like gangbusters, quite unexpectedly.
                            ---- Dave
                            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                            X