Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rivet chain link vs. clip on chain link.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're funny Norm!

Buahahaha!!!

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

An old mechanic I once worked with said the split links are OK as long as you direction the C clip so that the opening is not facing the direction of travel, and that you should smear some silicon / RTV over the clip to keep it in place.

Not sure what they say on the packaging now, but 20 years ago they didn't recommend using the split links for bikes over 750cc.
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
        An old mechanic I once worked with said the split links are OK as long as you direction the C clip so that the opening is not facing the direction of travel, and that you should smear some silicon / RTV over the clip to keep it in place.

Not sure what they say on the packaging now, but 20 years ago they didn't recommend using the split links for bikes over 750cc.
        My split ring was in the correct direction and slathered in red RTV(apparently an old drag racer trick), but I was pushing about 130hp to the brand new 530 chain.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          My split ring was in the correct direction and slathered in red RTV(apparently an old drag racer trick), but I was pushing about 130hp to the brand new 530 chain.
          That's probably why they used to say don't use them on anything over 750cc.

Like I said, don't know what warnings they put on the packets nowadays - I assume seeing chains have come a long way so too the links??
          Current:
          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
          And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Some motorcycles are chain-driven?

Comment

I have both but I got a rivet tool at a great price from the local tool place.They had them listed under autobody suppliesI wonder why they didn't sell any.

Comment

spring clip. every time. never had a problem.
                1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by JJ View Post
                  Some motorcycles are chain-driven?
                  Yes, JJ, there is a chain between the crank and the cams.

I have never had a problem with a clip-on link.
                  I have never had a problem with a rivet link.
                  I have never had a problem with a chain.
                  Come to think of it, I have never even replaced a chain.

Let's just ignore the fact that I have only had shaft-driven bikes since April, 1979.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                    Now, this is the point in the discussion were a chunk of the old timers puff out their chests, hook their thumbs through the bib overall suspenders and start pontificating, "Well, I never had a problem with no damn clip link, and if you install it right you won't either."
                    I'd be one of those old timers that would say this. Lots of bikes, and a few decades of riding without issue. Even this one used a clip:

Where I raced, most of the riders used clips on their drag bike chains....
                    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Clips work fine for low horse power machines and for the folks that do not want to take the time to play with a rivet chain. By far the rivet chain is going to be the safest, but requires more tools and time to remove and install properly.

Comment

Good point.
                        I've decided on going with rivet type and keep clip link as spare on bike just in case. Was already pricing out tools and links, so far eBay has best choices and prices.
                        BTW not so much old timer, I'm just stuck in the 80's.
                        Last edited by Guest; 01-12-2017, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Ebay tools are cheap, I have an AlphaMoto one that was ~$25. It has done 3 chains so far, no problems. I feel reasonably secure with it, although I have several thousand hard miles with a clip type link.
                          sigpic
                          09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                          1983 GS1100e
                          82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                          1980 GS1260
                          Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                          X