Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any trick to adjusting the fuel jets on 550 carbs while still on the bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any trick to adjusting the fuel jets on 550 carbs while still on the bike?

Looks like I'm going to have to take off my carbs again, but before I do I wanted to ask.

I've got one of the those long L shaped adjusters, but it's to inaccurate and hard to judge with any certainty.

What are you trying to adjust exactly? On my 550 I can remove the float bowls and access all of the jets with the carbs on the bike, not easy but it is possible with the right tools. I wouldn't bother except the carbs are a bitch to remove with the stock 550 airbox. Removing the slide to change the needle clip position is hard but again it's possible with the right tools. Adjusting the fuel and air screws is easy, as is synching up the carbs.

Not sure what the long L shaped adjuster would be for....

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Not sure what the long L shaped adjuster would be for....
      Sounds like the Motion Pro tool available at Z1 for adjusting the pilot fuel screws.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I assume you're referring to the pilot circuit fuel screw.

I asked the exact same question a few weeks ago for my VM22SS carbs.

I used a small ratchet instead of the L-screwdriver, but found the space way too cramped to fiddle around with the fuel screws for more than small adjustments.

I recommend to adjust to factory/known setting with the carbs off the bike. I'm tempted to say that you won't have to mess with the fuel screw afterwards anyway.

Sure, the airbox is a bitch on these bikes, but you'll get the hang of it soon enough Hint: Unscrew the airbox from the frame, that way you get a little bit of additional leeway
        #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
        #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
        #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
        #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Yes that's the tool I have been attempting to use but it's just not precise enough.

I might try the float bowl removal, that's an idea. I've taken them on and off three times now and can do it quite quickly, it's just a struggle and I'm always worried about messing up the boots and rubbers.

Thanks for the other tip, that helps.

Comment

Working...
          X