electrical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

electrical

i cant get any power to the starter button on my 1980 gs 850 lights and indicators work but not the horn electrics have been chopped about also i repaced the engine the one that was origional had electric ignition the new one has points still trying to sort the wiring any help appreciated

1A) (NEW) Trying to diagnose running problems on a bike with an unknown maintenance history. Common maintenance items like clean carbs, properly adjusted valves, no air leaks in the intake system (airbox, carb boots), a clean gas tank (no rust), and a properly functioning petcock are 100% mandatory for the bike to run properly.

Get a wire diagram and start tracing.....heres one http://members.dslextreme.com/users/..._color-new.png

Start by checking / changing all the fuses.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?196338-New-Members-CLICK-HERE!!&highlight=basscliff
    Last edited by bonanzadave; 02-05-2017, 03:34 PM.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

How are you checking? Are you using at test light (or voltmeter) at the starter button or are you checking at the starter solenoid?

Yes, it makes a difference, because the clutch "safety" switch is downstream of the starter button. In stock configuration, you need to squeeze the clutch lever to be able to use the electric starter.

If you are, indeed, not getting power at the starter button itself, check the "kill" switch, as it feeds power to the start button.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Solenoid needs a ground to mounting tab

Comment

hi ive maybe worded this wrong when i press the starter button nothing happens so i assume no power if i put a wire from one terminal to the other on the starter solonoid it turns the motor over ,i dont think uk bikes have clutch cut out switch nos sure how to test for power at starter button again any sugestions apreciated

Comment

ive taken the starter switch of the handlebars and given it a clean with a test light i am getting power to the starter button but it still wont activate the starter so now im stumped any ideas

Comment

ive taken the starter switch of the handlebars and given it a clean, with a test light i am getting power to the starter button but it still wont activate the starter so now im stumped any ideas

Comment

Either you have no connection between the starter button and the solenoid (broken wire or unplugged connector), or you have a clutch safety/cutout switch which is either broken/dirty/whatever/not actuated.

First determine if your bike has the safety switch. "I think" means "I don't know".
                If it does, you could either bypass it, or find out why it's not working and fix it. Note: It doesn't have to be the switch, it could be the connectors as well.

If it doesn't, follow the wire from the starter button down to the solenoid, and check where the electricity stops flowing. The schematic with wire colors has been provided in post #2 of this thread.

Also, get a cheapo multimeter, that way you can test for weak connections as well.
                #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

well i have a wiring diagram and there is no clutch cut out im in the uk,ive opened the harness up trying to find the yellow and green wire that goes to the solenoid .i found a joint and there was power there but not at the solenoid end after opening the harness and finding nothing /i looked in the headlight and found a connection that was apart after reconecting i had power to the solenoid but still wouldnt activate the starter so ive come to the conclusion that the solenoid is shot, according to the wiring diagram the solenoid should have the two main terminals and the green /yellow wire the one that is on has 2 main terminals plus 2 others cant work it out

Comment

Get a good look at the solenoid there is 2 big wires, and 1 small wire. Follow the small wire and unplug it from the harness, now find the live big wire on the solenoid, it goes to positive on battery. Touch the small wire to the live and the engine should crank, if not the solenoid is no good or there is a bad earth on the plate the solenoid is mounted. Good luck.
                    My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

well at last it runs now can anyone tell me what voltage should i have at the battery with the bike running

Comment

Originally posted by gpz View Post
                        well at last it runs now can anyone tell me what voltage should i have at the battery with the bike running
                        Quick Test in my signature

Comment

might be a silly question but i cant get the horn on my 850 gs to work if i run a lead from poss and negaive battery terminals one to each side should the horn sound

Comment

might be a silly question but i cant get the horn on my 850 gs to work if i run a lead from poss and negaive battery terminals one to each side should the horn sound
                            Yes; try adjusting the screw on the horn.

Comment

Install a relay. When I installed my high tone Blaster, it would work when the bike was off, once the bike was running, not enough voltage was reaching the horn. I installed a horn relay and now I have more horn then I know what do with now! And yes it is very loud, not the weak meeep from a stock horn.
                              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                              X