What parts fit what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What parts fit what?

Trying to get my 82 gs650 pieced back together. So far I have ordered a new speedo, front end off an 81 to replace my bent fork tube, and a tank which I've just been informed is full of rust. I ordered the front end off ebay for 50 bucks had one picture and guaranteed it was in good shape. I wasn't thinking about the year as much as the price. Will an 81 front end work on an 82 or did I just waste 50 bucks. And are all 650 tanks interchangeable or am I stuck with the e tanks without modification? The place I won the tank on told me they would make a good deal on a never used tank that had a palm sized dent in the top. ID much rather find one to bolt on and go but I'm not finding much in the e model. Thanks in advance.

'81 through '83 650 forks should be the same, as long as they are NOT the "L" forks. Those are easy to spot because the axle is in front of the fork tube instead of at the end.

You mention your '82 GS650. E, G or L? Makes a big difference when you go to ordering parts.

As far as tanks go, I am not sure if the '81 E and G tanks are the same as the '82/'83 E and G tanks, but they are definitely different from the L tanks.

I would have to look at a parts fiche (can't do that at work) to see if the mount on the '81 tank uses one horizontal bolt or two vertical bolts. The '82/'83 tanks use two vertical bolts.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

So these ebay forks have same brake setup as your original? A "G" tank might fit, but the "GL" tank has two mounting bolts on rear instead of one, plus a puny fuel capacity. Yes, it's much harder to find parts for the E than for shaft versions but they do surface.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I keep putting gs650e and my autocorrect removes the e! Anyway. I double checked the front end for the dual disc setup. Relieved to hear that will work. The seller I'm looking at has a tank listed that will fit and 81-83 gs650g or gs650glz. Never heard of a glz but it looks identical to mine with where the peacock and fuel guage are located. It also has the two bolt pattern of. The back that's the same as mine.

Comment

Originally posted by beardedxglory View Post
          I keep putting gs650e and my autocorrect removes the e!
          That is one of several reasons that the first thing I do with any program that allows me to type anything in is to remove any "auto-correct" function. I learned to spell at an early age, that ability is still with me.

Originally posted by beardedxglory View Post
          The seller I'm looking at has a tank listed that will fit and 81-83 gs650g or gs650glz. Never heard of a glz but it looks identical to mine with where the peacock and fuel guage are located. It also has the two bolt pattern of. The back that's the same as mine.
          The same tank will NOT fit on a G and a GLZ.

Found this picture in one of your early posts:

You have an '81 GS650E. More technically, that is also known as a GS650EX. The GS is the general series, the 650 is the (approximate) displacement, the E is for chain drive, the X is for the '81 model year.
          If that were a shaft-driven model, it would be a GS650GX. Although it does not show on the side cover, the "L" model is really a "GL". If it is an '82 model 650, it would be a GS650GLX. In reality, the only people that know and understand the letter at the end are the residents in this nuthouse and a few of the geeks behind the parts counters. You will also see it on parts fiche where two years might be similar, but not quite identical. The "X" at the end was for the '81 model year, "Z" for '82 and "D" for '83, the only three years that the 650 was available. Look at the VIN plate on the steering stem for the letter suffix and the manufacturing date.

I am home now, and looking at the parts fiche, I see that the E and the G do not share a part number. I don't know what the differences are, but it's evidently more than just a paint color.

Take a look at the link in my signature for #1 son's 650L, you will see the difference in the shape of the tank. Please be aware that the difference is more than just the outside shape, it also has different mounting points, so it won't be able to fit both, the G and the GL.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Of course I can't get any pictures to upload. I know what an L tank looks like. But the tank I'm looking at the supposedly came of of a g looks identical in EVERY way to the tank in my picture. The Ls have a slope to the back end of them. Or am I mistaken and there's more than two styles of tanks in that year range? Maybe the seller has it labelled wrong?
            Last edited by Guest; 02-16-2017, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Tank in question http://m.ebay.com/itm/381966448073

Comment

Tank appears to be in very good condition, but I don't think the paint is all original.

Do you have a fuel gauge? That tank is set up for one.

That parts fiche is not real clear for the '81 650E, but I can't see a gauge. The '82 650E does have one, so that might be an '82 tank.

Will also have to look at exact location of the petcock to make sure that won't be a problem.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Mine does have the fuel guage. Im thinking that one should work perfect. I plan on a repaint anyway when i get it back on the road and finished. I just hope that paintjob isnt covering a big bondo job or something.

Comment

Well I got the ok on the refund on the last tank I got so this ones on the way. I appreciate yhe help and ill let you know for sure how it fits.

Comment

Working...
                    X