Suzuki gs750 1978 low compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so on my bike the pilot screw Goes out 7/8 off a turn
    the side screw at 1 turn ( got it from the chart )

and then set Idle with mixture screw for the 4 carbs together ?

Comment

Getting back to the original post of low-ish compression. I just have to ask. When you did the compression check did you keep pumping the starter until the gauge quit rising or just let it "hit" once per cylinder?

Proper would be:
      Remove all spark plugs
      Battery fully charged and starter not dragging
      Throttle wide open
      Keep starter engaged until pressure gauge won't go any higher which usually takes about 5 or more 'hits' or thumps?
      Last edited by Guest; 01-13-2018, 08:55 AM.

Comment

I just wanted to chime in concerning the compression numbers. My bike also has a lower number in cyl. #3 versus the others. Yesterday as I was tearing my top end down for rebuild, I noticed two of the head bolts on the inward side of #3 cylinder was much easier to break loose than the rest of them.

I don't know if this would have an effect on the compression but my 1st thought was that just maybe those two bolts were not torqued to the same spec as the rest of them, thereby causing a possible lower compression in that cylinder. IDK, just an observation.

Good luck with yours SanderG
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
          I just wanted to chime in concerning the compression numbers. My bike also has a lower number in cyl. #3 versus the others. Yesterday as I was tearing my top end down for rebuild, I noticed two of the head bolts on the inward side of #3 cylinder was much easier to break loose than the rest of them.

I don't know if this would have an effect on the compression but my 1st thought was that just maybe those two bolts were not torqued to the same spec as the rest of them, thereby causing a possible lower compression in that cylinder. IDK, just an observation.

Good luck with yours SanderG
          Twice now I've seen loose head bolts on these old GS bikes. Usually on the right side (#3 and #4) come to think of it.

Comment

Working...
          X