Odd Request, I need to hear your idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd Request, I need to hear your idle

I have an odd request but maybe someone has a few minutes and is inclined to help. I have had MANY motorcycles of all shapes and sizes and each has its own idle exhaust note and while a couple of my harleys sounded like they might stall I knew it was just "their way"

I am having a little trouble finding the sweet spot on my gs750. I understand it should be at about 1100 ish. Problem is I think my tach is faulty. Not sure but its default at rest position is just under 1000 mark. It does not go to the zero mark. When I set my idle speed my bike seems to sound right at about 1800 rpm by the needle. I can get it down to about 1600 but anything lower and it doesnt sound like what I remember from a inline four. Now .. I havent owned an inline four in a long time but I do remember what they sound like and there are enough bikes in AZ to listen too but .. Admittedly my last GS was probably 1981 so ....

Does anyone know of a video or can make one that shows their unmodified bike idling so I can hear what I am aiming for since I am not trusting the tach right now. I know I had at least three bikes that didnt even have a tach. You rode and you knew when to shift so I would rather play it by ear.
    Alex

I think it was wingsconsin that posted a video a while back after changing his ignition or something. Been looking but can't find it.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

yes it was Carl (wingsconsin). Just search enough and you should be able to find it.
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Here is his post, the video is at the end of post #1:
        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...imes&highlight=

I can get videos of a couple other GSes with different pipes over the weekend, if that will help. I have a 1000G with stock pipes, an 850L with stock pipes and my 850G with a (very quiet) 4-into-1 pipe.

Last edited by Steve; 06-29-2017, 11:51 PM.
        sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The link Steve used DOES show my bike idling -
          I also did a short video once the new coils were installed --
          At the 1:02 mark I take it off enrichener (choke) and the idle comes down to near 1200..

<strong>
          Currently in the Stable :
          2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
          1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
          - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

THANK YOU!!! That was just what I needed. I am a little higher it seems but not by much. That was perfect. Thank you again!

Went out this morning for the longest ride to date and it behaved well after reassembly .. I have a little tug at 5000 rpm but it seemed to work itself out by the end of the ride. 55 miles and 1.5 hours since it was nice and cool this morning at only 94 degrees.

Comment

Working...
            X