Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New tach cable gs450t

Hello,
    I replaced my tach cable recently and I'm pretty sure it just needs to be hand tightened at both ends. However, when I ride, it is slowly coming off of where it is attached to the motor. It starts "unthreading" itself, and oil starts to drip out. I always notice it before it manages to come off all the way. Is there something I'm missing? I know that some bikes have a little bolt that you turn to hold it in there, but I don't think the 450t does. It seems to just hand tighten in... same as the way it goes into the tach at the other end of the cable. And that side is not slipping out at all... any ideas?
    Thanks!

yes, those knurled nuts at the valve cover should have a lock. On mine, It's a slot in the nut for a steel tab bolted on that stops it undoing. do you have a place to put that lock bolt? Here's mine. I looked at CMSNL for what I figure is your 450 and ,true-I couldn't see the same arrangement.

Per loosening, it's the top at the gauges where I see it.....what I do-just Pliers..Gentle though. a wee turn past hand tight does it.... don't crush and don't strip the grooves-try to ensure the "pipe grips" on the pliers are sharp and somewhat mesh the grooves on knobs.

OR gentler,and Better if it'll work, You could try a dab of silicone seal or RTV (some breakable glue) on the outside after hand tightening. Best to clean all oily stuff off with an alcohol.
    Last edited by Gorminrider; 07-14-2017, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I don't see any place for the locking mechanism that you have. I have a gs450t and I'm pretty sure it's just hand tightened. I tried turning it with a pair of pliers just a touch. I haven't gone out yet, but I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed. I'll let ya know!

Comment

Working...
      X