Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leak from stator cover

Hello,

I have a problem with oil leaking from my stator cover on the left side. It looks like the oil is coming out from where the bottom bolt is.

I have tried to change the gasket twice. I have even tried with a combination of both gasket and liquid gasket, but it is still leaking.

The picture is taken to show the amount of oil leaking. This is after have been driven for 30 minutes and the been standing on side stand for 7 hours.

IMG_0020.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks.

got a cracked hole? Thats a goodly amounbt of oil are you sure its not coming from another place and merely dripping off the lowest spot on the bike?
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

There is a mixture of lengths of screws on that cover 35 , 45 and possibly 30mm as well.
      If a 35 finds it's way into a 30mm hole it may not be obvious that it's bottoming out.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

hmm did you fab that gasket? wrong material maybe?
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I had one that was leaking from a bottom case bolt and not the cover. Clean it all up, put some baby powder on everything down there and go for a short ride. The powder will help you identify the source of the leak.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
          1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
            There is a mixture of lengths of screws on that cover 35 , 45 and possibly 30mm as well.
            If a 35 finds it's way into a 30mm hole it may not be obvious that it's bottoming out.
            There are 3 sizes of screws on the stator cover. After reassembling my motor, I had a leak of similar size. I removed the cover and saved the new gasket. A few minutes cleaning up the mating surface of both the cases and cover solved my leak.
            Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
            2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

are ya sure its coming from the stator cover? , there is a hole in the starter cavity that drains out that way...
              1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
                Clean it all up, put some baby powder on everything down there and go for a short ride. The powder will help you identify the source of the leak.
                Do this before anything else
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks a lot for your advice.

I already tried buying new screws in the right lengths and replacing them, with no luck. But I think that I have found the leak. It looks like there is a small crack just above the hole(see picture). The small cobber washer was another attempt to stop the leak, also with no luck.

Maybe I should just be on the lookout for a new cover?
                  IMG_20170818_172519.jpg

Comment

Clean it up real good and JB Weld the area for a temporary fix to keep you riding.
                    1981 GS 1000GLX.
                    1981 GS 1000G.
                    1981 GS 650GLX.
                    1975 TS 185.
                    1972 100. Kawasaki.
                    1968 100. Suzuki.
                    1970 Z 50. Honda.
                    1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
                    1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Working...
                    X