Header Spring Rattles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Header Spring Rattles

My aftermarket header is held in place by springs, and at certain rpms they make an annoying rattle sound and Im pretty certain its from the springs that hold the header to the spigots. Is there an easy way to make some covers for my springs to keep them from vibrating and rattling, or am I gonna have buy some new springs with the covers?
    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Get some teflon heat shrink. There are on line sources if you look.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      Get some teflon heat shrink. There are on line sources if you look.
      Thank you Posplayr, I'll check with my local Northern Tool and Tractor supply this weekend... and your header is working just fine still.
      1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Comment

Posplayr, did you ever notice any "buzzy" sounds from the headers when you had them? Just curious.
          1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
            Posplayr, did you ever notice any "buzzy" sounds from the headers when you had them? Just curious.
            No but I had that vintage Yoshi can fully stuffed with Steel Wool. I thought I read you switched you the can?

I had a can on my GSXR that had no packing and it was super raspy til I packed it.

IIRC I had bare V&H springs with the V&H spigots and there was never anything noticeable.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              No but I had that vintage Yoshi can fully stuffed with Steel Wool. I thought I read you switched you the can?

I had a can on my GSXR that had no packing and it was super raspy til I packed it.

IIRC I had bare V&H springs with the V&H spigots and there was never anything noticeable.
              The buzzy noise comes from spring area around the front of the motor. I can hear it only at certain rpms and since I'm always messing with something I thought I'd try to see if I could fix it. I cant hear it with the helmet on, but I'd like to make to make it so I cant hear it at all. lol!

Oh, and I did replace the can with a stainless Supertrapp can and a CT Racing exhaust tip. It has a nice sound and looks pretty too. I tried the discs but it had an annoying tone that I didn't care for.
              1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Just run a bead of high temp silicone on the spring.
                I have a spigot mount exhaust on my gs1000 and I have never heard anything from the springs.
                Marc
                AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
                1978 GS1000C X2
                1978 GS1000E X2
                1979 GS1000S
                1979 gs1000
                1983 gs400e

Comment

Springs should be tight and not rattle

Comment

Working...
                  X