GK shock leaking oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GK shock leaking oil

Had back end of GK apart for about 5 weeks (secondary drive). Shocks laying on the floor.
    Got it all back together, and then out for ride.
    Next day noticed oil spot on floor about a foot in diameter, looked like it was right under the final drive. YIKES What did I do wrong? Ruin some seal in final drive? In secondary drive? Oh, No, I thought.

Took me untill the next day to find the oil leak is from the shock.

Wondering if I did anything to cause it to fail right then....? Maybe just laying on the floor? MAybe the twisting and bending to get the lower part over the stud and then the upper part over the stud.
    Or maybe it was just time, 30+ years, you know.

When I got the bike in 2005, one of the shocks would not hold air pressure (and had oil slobbered all over), and so I replaced it with a salvage on off ebay.
    Since then, Both have held good air pressure over the season and parked over the winter.

But I know that this oil leak means it is not going to hold air pressure, and is not going to function properly. (GK shock has the air pressure valve, and the big chrome top, I think is same as on the GLs).

I don't think there is any rebuilding it.

My first inclination is to find another salvage one on ebay (since I have this affliction of liking the bike to be stock).

My second thought is to ask all you fine folks for a recommendation of a replacement.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

It quit dripping oiul.
    But doesnt hold air pressure either, can pump up and watch the pressure decay. Doesnt drip oil then either.

So, tell me, is this thing anything of a shock anymore? Or just something there that is not doing any function, well other than being a spring.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Dave, In my quest for better suspension on the rear, I think I ended up with a pair of GK shocks.

Allow me a few minutes to locate them and check their function, I'll get back with you.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

OK, found ‘em. Dusted them off, applied 30 psi to check for leaks, but only after checking to see if there was any pressure in them after sitting on the shelf for over a year. One actually had about 10 psi in it. Will let them sit for a while, then check the pressure.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

One of mine on my 83 GS1100g started leaking and I replaced it with an adjustable Hagon shock. They are really nice. I believe Londonboard had a his rebuilt in the UK, so there maybe a source for rebuilding.
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g
          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

2 1/2 hours later, they both seem to be holding air, but one of them does not have quite the same grasp on its fluid.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              OK, found ‘em. Dusted them off, applied 30 psi to check for leaks, ...........
              GK supplement to 1100G manaul says, 15 psi typical, .... 35psi max, and specifically says "to not damage seal".
              Good that you didnt try 50 or 60.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                2 1/2 hours later, they both seem to be holding air, but one of them does not have quite the same grasp on its fluid.

Ah, so, not a good PAIR for you to use.

Hum ... now.... which is your good one ... and which one failed... (based on valve being accessable when behind the side bags) (accessable meaning forward and to the outside)..... ?

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                  GK supplement to 1100G manaul says, 15 psi typical, .... 35psi max, and specifically says "to not damage seal".
                  Good that you didnt try 50 or 60.
                  Yeah, I read that on the shock, too.

On the other hand, maybe they are like Goldwing shocks? The manual says that maximum pressure is 54psi. I found that at 54psi (according to the on-board digital gauge), I was bottoming out frequently. I increased to 70 psi, which worked better. If I carried a passenger big enough to cast a shadow, I had to inflate them as high as the on-board compressor will go, which is 103 psi. Probably worth noting that the stock arrangement on a GL1500 is that one shock has a steel spring and hydraulic damping, the other shock has the air spring, and I presume some hydraulic damping. There is no preload adjustment on the steel spring, so any height adjustment (preload) will be done by adding air to the shock.

I installed Progressive 416 air shocks, which are both steel springs with air assist. Still no preload adjustment on the spring, but that model was what was suggested for "heavy-duty" uses. Considering that my gravitational attraction is a bit higher than most, and I was carrying my younger son, whose gravitational attraction was higher than mine, AND I was towing a trailer, that is what I got. I was dismayed to find that I still had to use at least 70 psi to keep from bottoming out, and 100+ psi for passenger use. I talked with a Progressive rep at Wing Ding (an annual gathering for Goldwings), she congratulated me on doing what was necessary, not just following the directions. It is bad enough that I have considered getting Progressives other offering for my bike, which is an updated version of the stock setup. The single shock with HEAVIER steel spring (which has preload adjustment) is mated up with the stock air shock for load adjustment.

OK, it's 3 days after pressurizing the GK shocks. Apparently no loss, other than the little bit that happens when I check the pressure. At least they both read the same amount.

Send me your address in a PM, I'll send these to you.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                  X