Is this the infamous oil leak? 77 GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this the infamous oil leak? 77 GS750

Hello. Bike is a 1977 GS 750 in perfect condition. A couple of months ago smoke started to come from one of the headers, pretty much when in idle or at a stop light. The second one close to the tach drive. I replaced the tach seals and today did an oil change. runs great. And again when at a light smoke... cleaned everything and checked and here are some pics so you guys can help me get her to the smooth condition she was :-)
    Attached Files

Get the tank odd and have a close look at the valve cover gasket in around the chain tunnel.
    A leak in there will emerge over the exhaust ports by 'magic'
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Anyone? Thoughts and help please Thanks.. Here is another pic.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Guest; 10-23-2017, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
        Get the tank odd and have a close look at the valve cover gasket in around the chain tunnel.
        A leak in there will emerge over the exhaust ports by 'magic'
        Thanks. Any other thoughts by looking and the second picture?

Comment

The chain flings a lot of oil at that gasket right in the center Brendan is right, and you probably need to check your valve clearance anyway.

In my personal experience, it is OK to use an aftermarket valve cover gasket.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

yep, really hard to tell where the oil is coming from, clean it up, check the valves,etc
            1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Clean it up and spray the head gasket area with some aerosol foot powder. Start it and then watch as the exact spot of the leak will appear by discoloring the foot powder an oil color. The foot powder will wash off.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                Clean it up and spray the head gasket area with some aerosol foot powder. Start it and then watch as the exact spot of the leak will appear by discoloring the foot powder an oil color. The foot powder will wash off.
                Thanks. Will do it. And then post the result

Comment

What's up with the different exhaust bolts?
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                    The second one close to the tach drive.
                    Just so you know, ... the two cylinders in the picture are #3 and #4. Cylinders are numbered from left to right, as you sit on the bike.

#1 is under your clutch hand, #4 is under your throttle hand.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

These silicone gaskets work REAL good. Forgot when I put one my bike.
                      REAL gasket
                      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I hated the Real Gasket I bought for my 850. It's too soft and squeezes out too much when you tighten the bolts even hand tight. Get an OEM Suzuki valve cover gasket and check the valve clearances while you are at it. There is no way for people over the internet to diagnose an oil leak on someone's bike other than to tell them to go back to basics and make sure all the possible gaskets are sealing.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks for the replies... I hope it is those gaskets you guys mention... because now I have black smoke... when I rev it. Took it to a shop and as you know many shops wont work on our oldies. The guy gave was very nice and gave me some good pointers. One of the reasons he said he wouldn't work on it as MrBill mentioned and I noticed when I got her was the bolts, if you look at the picture I posted up close the diameter of the bolts is different on the 4th and there is also some kind of I dont know, glue? Around the one that is a 10mm... so any thoughts are welcome

As for causes for the black smoke on gs I am also opened to comments.

So I am going to start checking the sparkplugs and go from there. Cant find the source of the leak. I mean I know it is cylinder 3 but I guess I will have to clean it again amd try with the baby powder.

Thanks again for you time to read this. It helps

Comment

i had the same problem with an '80 GS850G many years ago. Turned out that the tach cable kept loosening up from vibrations. I realized that should not allow oil to leak so I remember replacing an "O" ring inside the tach cable drive and that fixed it. Used a spot of thread locker on the cable threads and my problem was fixed. This may have been mentioned in the thread but if so I missed it. Good luck.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Mickeymoe View Post
                              i had the same problem with an '80 GS850G many years ago. Turned out that the tach cable kept loosening up from vibrations. I realized that should not allow oil to leak so I remember replacing an "O" ring inside the tach cable drive and that fixed it. Used a spot of thread locker on the cable threads and my problem was fixed. This may have been mentioned in the thread but if so I missed it. Good luck.

Mark
                              I replaced all those, the seal , the "O" ring... and it did not fix it... it doesn't have a tach anymore. will continue to try to find the source. any comments on the black smoke??

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X