1982 GS750T tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS750T tires

I ordered new tires. Does this bike have innertubes?

According to the parts fishe it does. You can check for yourself at Partzilla or a similar site. If your wheel is imprinted "tubeless tire applicable" (or similar) it can be run tubeless. Some people convert tube type to tubeless as well but that's not without some controversy. A search here will turn up many discussions on this subject.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

There is a whole subforum for tires, suspension and brakes. Searching there will find a pile of threads on tube vs. tubeless and more.

Mark
      1982 GS1100E
      1998 ZX-6R
      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Check the side of your rim. My 82 GS850 mentions something about taking tubeless tires right on the rim.

Comment

I have the mag wheels and I run tubeless tires on my 82 GS 750T

Comment

Originally posted by Pops82GS View Post
            I have the mag wheels and I run tubeless tires on my 82 GS 750T
            That is great, but do your "mag" wheels specifically say "TUBLESS TIRE APPLICABLE"?
            Most of the early ones (pre '82 or so) DON'T.

There are those on the forum that will not violate any suggestion for any reason, and feel that if the wheel was not made for tubeless tires, you should not force them to do so.

There are also those on the forum that have performed an experiment by installing tubelss tires on their "non-tubless" wheels and have found success.

Some of the nay-sayers will cite liability reasons for conforming to the suggestions, others don't quite buy into that theory.

It's up to you to do what you want on your bike, but personally, I stop short of recommending that anyone else should do it. I will cite personal experience and let you make up your own mind.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I've always wondered if they were tubeless...now I'll have to check mine.

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

For what it's worth I run my 78 1k tubeless.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  That is great, but do your "mag" wheels specifically say "TUBLESS TIRE APPLICABLE"?
                  Most of the early ones (pre '82 or so) DON'T.
                  Or you get a mix. On my 82 1100E the rear rim says tubeless, the front doesn't. Both work fine with tubeless.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  There are also those on the forum that have performed an experiment by installing tubelss tires on their "non-tubless" wheels and have found success.
                  I'm with you on this. Everyone should make up their own mind on doing something outside the recommended practices of the day.

I do wonder if there is anyone here that has NOT had a positive experience with switching to a tubeless setup? We hear lots from those of us who have done it and had no problems but are there any on the other side of the fence that had issues after switching?

Mark
                  1982 GS1100E
                  1998 ZX-6R
                  2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                    I do wonder if there is anyone here that has NOT had a positive experience with switching to a tubeless setup? We hear lots from those of us who have done it and had no problems but are there any on the other side of the fence that had issues after switching?
                    One of the arguments is that the early alloy wheels were a bit porous, which would require frequent adjustments to air pressure. Like you, I don't know if anyone HERE has actually experienced that or not. Another argument (that is rather vocally offered) is the lack of bead-retention humps on the rim of the non-tubeless rated wheels. My personal opinion is that when your tire is deflated (slowly or violently), those little humps are not going make much of a difference.

If you read what I offered in post #6 VERY carefully, you still don't know whether I agree with the concept or not, nor do you know whether I have done it or not. I tried to just offer some of the points by both parties and some of the arguments.

In my own 'stable' of bikes, I <think> there is a mix of tube-type and tubless wheels, but I would have to check to be sure. In my case, it would not make much of a difference, as I won't be installing any tubes.

I have had friends ask me to change tires for them. Many don't know whether their bike has tubes and have offered no resistance when I tell them the manufacturer suggests a tube. If they specifically say "the last tire didn't have a tube, let's do it again", I will install with no tube, as requested, but let them know that they are going against recommendations.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                    X