Gift from previous owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gift from previous owner

I finally started working on my 1978 gs750 again a few days ago! Right now I am replacing the exhaust gaskets and putting on my new exhaust.. that's when I saw it.. a broken bolt where the exhaust connects. I have dealt with this before on a previous bike but the bolt was in a much more convenient location and speedout worked like a charm. I don't want to touch this bolt with speedout.. the frame sits just in front of the bolt so I'm unable to get a clean angle.. and speedout is a gamble every single time.. I want to try and avoid having to take the bike into a shop to have this taken out.. can anyone recommend a good way to remove this that doesn't involve completely drilling out the screw and retappping?
    IMG_20180424_152317.jpg

If you have a wire feed welder you can weld a nut on what's left of the bolt and unscrew it.

Edit: I've pulled three bolts in similar fashion. One had enough to cut a slot in with a grinder and back out, another welding the nut thing worked as the heat from the arc loosens the stuck bolt a bit and the last I resorted to drilling it and tapping the hole. None were much fun. I had the head on the work bench though so you're already at a disadvantage with it still on the bike. Whatever method you use try to wiggle a bit, spray some penetrating oil like PB blaster or WD, and slowly work back and forth letting the oil get down in there. Maybe practice welding on an extra bolt to get good penetration with the weld as the nut may just pop right off if not.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Burque73; 04-24-2018, 06:27 PM.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Last time I did this, I ground a slot and couldn't move it. Bought a 3 jaw LH chuck and snapped the bolt off shorter twice. Welded a nut to the stump and broke the weld three times. Tried an extractor and broke it. Ended up hogging out the whole bolt and putting in a coil insert.

In hindsight, it would have been cheaper to buy a new head....

Comment

One of my techniques, I drill a small hole all the way through the broken bolt, about 1/8" drill size. I get a quality penetrant, with the straw type nozzle, and fill the hole and behind the broken bolt with penetrant. Tap with hammer, apply heat, reapply penetrant. Wait a day or so, repeat and then use a reverse drill bit and quite frequently the drill bit turns out the offending broken bolt/stud. If not then an extractor usually works and if not I just keep drilling up till I can run a tap through it.

Best of luck.
        1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
        1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Forgot to mention I tried the LH bit technique too. Before I tried the extractor. No luck. I loathe broken exhaust studs.

Comment

Thank you all for the suggestions! I am going to attempt to get the bolt out this afternoon. I think my first attempt is going to be cutting a slot into the bolt and backing it out that way, If that doesn't work I think the drill method seems to be my second best bet. Well.. Wish me luck!

Comment

Did you resolve the problem? If so, what was the winning solution?

Comment

Working...
              X