GS850GLT Oil on TOP of bottom fin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850GLT Oil on TOP of bottom fin.

Just been for a run and found that I have some oil sitting on TOP of the bottom engine fin at the front of engine. So cannot be the base gasket and seems too low for head gasket. Could it be a perforated head or something else?
    Regards
    Pete

It could be the valve cover gasket, cam cover rubber caps, tach drive, or cam chain tensioner. To be certain, clean it up real good and spray the area with athlete's foot powder or similar. You'll see where the leak is coming from
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Picture of bottom fin at front of engine, just behind exhaust headers.

20180610_183930.jpgPicture of bottom fin at front of engine, just behind exhaust headers.

Comment

All this that you mention apart from cam cover and rubbers are at the back of the engine, not the front?
        Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        It could be the valve cover gasket, cam cover rubber caps, tach drive, or cam chain tensioner. To be certain, clean it up real good and spray the area with athlete's foot powder or similar. You'll see where the leak is coming from

Comment

Originally posted by peterd123 View Post
          All this that you mention apart from cam cover and rubbers are at the back of the engine, not the front?
          There are openings through the head from the rear to the front, so oil from a leak at the back can make its way to the front.
          1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Wow, what are they for and where abouts? Never heard about them before.
            Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
            There are openings through the head from the rear to the front, so oil from a leak at the back can make its way to the front.

Comment

Airflow and turbulence around the engine will cause oil to go more places than just straight down and the areas I suggested looking are the more common areas where oil will leak from. Your tach gear is on the front of the engine either in the valve cover or the head, cam chain tensioner in the middle of the rear part of the engine, cam covers are on the sides (take each cover off and you'll see the rubber plug underneath).

The openings are between each cylinder through the fins to provide air flow that will help cool the engine down.

Your best bet to figure out why is to do the cleaning and foot spray so you'll see the general path of the oil.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

OK, I now think that it is the chain tensioner, as it is leaking slightly. Did not know that there were airways running front to back. That would explain it as its on the same level as the tensioner.
                Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                Airflow and turbulence around the engine will cause oil to go more places than just straight down and the areas I suggested looking are the more common areas where oil will leak from. Your tach gear is on the front of the engine either in the valve cover or the head, cam chain tensioner in the middle of the rear part of the engine, cam covers are on the sides (take each cover off and you'll see the rubber plug underneath).

The openings are between each cylinder through the fins to provide air flow that will help cool the engine down.

Your best bet to figure out why is to do the cleaning and foot spray so you'll see the general path of the oil.
                Last edited by Guest; 06-10-2018, 05:39 PM.

Comment

If you believe it is, take a read through this page that you can find from Basscliff's site (http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff) by clicking on BWringer's instructions link towards the bottom. His link will detail all the parts needed to repair the tensioner.

Pay careful attention to the instructions about putting it all back together.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Oil will help trap road grit in those airways and block them.
                    97 R1100R
                    Previous
                    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

So should i be able to poke something through to clean them, and is there a passageway between each barrel?
                      Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                      Oil will help trap road grit in those airways and block them.

Comment

Originally posted by peterd123 View Post
                        So should i be able to poke something through to clean them, and is there a passageway between each barrel?
                        Only ever done it with the barrel off and a pressure washer. Poking will get most of it I suppose with degreaser and hose to finish.
                        97 R1100R
                        Previous
                        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Get some cleaning wire brushes mainly used for cleaning rifle or handgun bores and some Q-tips (you'll go through an entire box)

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Working...
                          X