No announcement yet.

Chasing a noise - What I have found so far -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a ticking sound that I was able to reduce to a much more acceptable level. There was too much end play in the tach gear. I found the source using a mechanics stethoscope. I put an e-clip in the little groove on the tach gear shaft, although I did need to grind the little ears down some.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Update -
      Since the last video I have ridden the bike nearly 200 miles -
      I ride it every day to work adn back -
      Although 2 nights ago I went out for a longish ride -
      I was able to go about 100 miles that evening and hit the REServe on the tank (at about 144 miles total on the tank)
      I filled it up and calculated my MPG at 44.2 MPG which is as good as I ever got before -
      Typically I have been around 40 MPG for every day riding / commuting.
      The bike ran well - accelerated to higher speeds and generally performed fine.
      It was little hard to start this AM (required 3 tries to get it idling) but it was out in a hard rain yesterday (got wet)
      Once it warmed up it was fine - off the 'choke' before I got off my driveway -
      The noise I hear is still there - and it worries me - but I can't find it and it seems to not affect anything.
      Maybe it's just me hearing an engine working - which I do not get on the Goldwing
      Race test it ? Ride it until something breaks.
      Or keep fixing it until something breaks...LOL
      Last edited by Wingsconsin; 08-02-2018, 10:15 AM. Reason: add details
      Currently in the Stable :
      2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
      1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
      - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Have you fiddled with the thumbscrew on your cam chain tensioner? From the right side of the bike while it's running underneath the front of the carbs turn that wheel a little clockwise and see if your noise stops. Something about mine will sometimes cause a click and I barely touch it and it's gone. I only hear it when it's at idle on cold start for some reason but the slightest touch makes it stop. I've even rebuilt mine made sure there's no notches or anything that will hold it back just something about right where it's at causes it to click sometimes. Don't go putting tons of force or anything, like I said the slightest touch clockwise is all mine has needed to get it out of that particular spot. You should give another video with a little more down by the engine All I heard was exhaust. Something else is check anything that could be rattling, it may not even be your engine just something loose somewhere on the outside vibrating with the engine making it seem as though it's coming from the engine.

Comment

Are you sure it's not just harmless cam walk?

Comment

I listened to both of your videos and didn't hear anything troublesome.

When I took my GS750 cross country I learned to stop listening for barely perceptible engine noise changes. We were doing 100-400 miles pretty much every day and so, by my reasoning, anything that was going to be a problem would soon present itself in a more obvious way. It never hurts to change your oil and check your valve clearances though
            1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
            1977 GS550
            1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
              Are you sure it's not just harmless cam walk?
              I am not sure -- so I am asking -- I will create a new video with my GoPro this week and see if I can get a decent sound clip --

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
              I listened to both of your videos and didn't hear anything troublesome.

When I took my GS750 cross country I learned to stop listening for barely perceptible engine noise changes. We were doing 100-400 miles pretty much every day and so, by my reasoning, anything that was going to be a problem would soon present itself in a more obvious way. It never hurts to change your oil and check your valve clearances though
              This is the most likely situation - I may be hearing what is perfectly normal for my bike --
              But it has changed sounds recently - but I have also been working on it to 'improve it" --
              Plugging the drilled out ends from the previous owner is one such change
              Currently in the Stable :
              2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
              1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
              - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Could be a very small exhaust leak. ​🧐

Comment

Working...
                X