Gummy residue in tank...help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gummy residue in tank...help

So I get a guy that wants me to clean and do a tank liner on a tank thats sat well over years. It does have rust in it rather bad, but the underlying problem is getting the gummy sticky brownish sludge dissolved first so it can even be derusted and lined.

When googling for solutions one guy said fill it with E85 gas and aggitate it now and then. Guys going out of town for two weeks so I got some time to get the caramel out. Anyone have suggestions for chemicals for the task?? Tank paint is like day one so I surely dont want to do any harm to the paint. When a radiator shop "boils out" a tank does that destroy the paint too?? I am totally unfamiliar with that process.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

I can't say with 100% accuracy, but I have been told the radiator shops boil them in a chemical solution so it would be best to ask a shop near you just what kind of chemicals they would be using. I don't know if some chemicals would be ok for not causing harm. This is a question for a chemist or at least somebody who knows for sure.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Partially full of gas with some Seafoam or carb cleaner on it. Shake it up, let sit, shake some more. Repeat as necessary.
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
        Partially full of gas with some Seafoam or carb cleaner on it. Shake it up, let sit, shake some more. Repeat as necessary.
        I was going to suggest trying Seafoam. It loosens carbon deposits so it may help.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
          I can't say with 100% accuracy, but I have been told the radiator shops boil them in a chemical solution so it would be best to ask a shop near you just what kind of chemicals they would be using. I don't know if some chemicals would be ok for not causing harm. This is a question for a chemist or at least somebody who knows for sure.
          I've several tanks done by a rad shop. They blast the inside, and bake on an epoxy coating. I had that done on the GS about ten years ago and it still looks like new.

1979 GS1000

Comment

The Por-15 tank repair kit comes with a product called Cleaner Degreaser that is exactly for that purpose...https://www.por15.com/POR-15-Motorcy...it-_p_106.html
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Dollar General sells purple power $5 a gallon concentrate. I've had luck with it getting all kinds of grease off stuff just by spraying it on concentrated and hitting it with a hose after a minute or 2. Maybe a good dose sloshed around in the tank will get rid of it. I haven't had any paint issues with it but haven't sprayed it directly on paint either so idk just be careful. Just an idea.

Comment

I've considered using Carb Dip for an old outboard engine tank. Can old gasoline residue stand up to that?
                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                  I've considered using Carb Dip for an old outboard engine tank. Can old gasoline residue stand up to that?
                  I doubt it could considering that's exactly what carb dips are made to get rid of. I'd be careful around paint with it though. Either way, dish soap and hot water would probably get the job done too with enough elbow grease (agitation) and time. Pinesol does a decent job getting stuff too. You'd do well to find a can of redkote to line the tank with. My tank wouldn't hold anything around the seams due to pinholes all down it. A can of redkote, after a good washing, pour in half the can and roll it around then dump off what you can and repeat a few days later making sure to leave no pools and give atleast a week or 2 to cure. When researching liners it was basically the only one I couldn't find accounts of it failing too. Unless you've got bullet holes you won't be worrying about patching, rusting, or leaking ever again...Anyways, Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by gsgeezer View Post
                    I've several tanks done by a rad shop. They blast the inside, and bake on an epoxy coating. I had that done on the GS about ten years ago and it still looks like new.
                    Not trying to thread jack here, but I just got this done recently. Looks like there's some sand particles in the epoxy coating as if they didn't get it all out after blasting, but before coating? Any of yours come back like that? Should I be concerned about it, or it's encapsulated in the coating so it's fine?

...and to avoid thread jacking a little, the POR-15 cleaner degreaser is a safe bet. Even if you don't use their liner product, looks like you can order it separately.

This is another option ---->https://www.caswellplating.com/epoxy...m-8-fl-oz.html
                    Last edited by Sam 78 GS750; 08-04-2018, 12:48 PM.
                    sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Comment

Working...
                    X