No announcement yet.

FIXED IT !! <Insert Happy dance here> Exhaust note is changed for the better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FIXED IT !! <Insert Happy dance here> Exhaust note is changed for the better

I have been chasing a sound, a noise, a ticking sound for the past quite a while --

Thanks to the great hive mind here I FOUND IT and FIXED IT !

I began discussing it here on the board in late July --
    In this thread -->>
    https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...far&highlight=

At the end of that thread Sasquatch mentioned this .."Could be a very small exhaust leak."

Which lead to this thread -->>
    https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...amp&highlight=

After which I decided to order all NEW Clamps, and Connector tubes OEM -

SO about 2 weeks ago I pulled the entire exhaust system OFF and do the R&R I thought it needed.

While I had it off I painted the H-box with some Rustoleum Extreme High Temp paint (black) just to try to stave off failure of this part (mine was in pretty good shape)
    I also took the time to clean and shine each pipe, and heat shield and muffler by hand -
    A surprising amount of dirt and surface rust spots disappeared while I did this -
    Then I re-installed the exhaust system using the new clamps and connector tubes -

The connector tubes are the secret in my opinion...they are hard while being malleable so the clamps tighten and create a good seal --

After I tightened everything up it was time for a test ride...

Just a little history for you -
    I have had this bike for 5 years now - The previous owner did a LOT of bad things to it and I have been slowly fixing and repairing everything I can find to better then OEM condition - I now have nearly $3500 in this $1500 motorcycle - But I DO LOVE it !
    The P/O had drilled out the ends (now repaired) adn it ALWAYS popped a little especially on decel - I had grown to accept it -

But last night ---

NO POPPING !

Just a real nice synchronous growl - I heard the engine exhaust as it was designed from the factory -

WOW WOW WOW

I can't wait to ride her again - and again - and again -

Sorry for the long post without visuals - I tried to get a video of the new sound (quiet) but it didn't come out well --
    But know that I am truly pleased with my now 35 years old highly customized GS850GL

And appreciate the GS Resources Forum and all the people willing to share knowledge about this great machine
    Currently in the Stable :
    2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
    1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
    - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Fantastic!

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Working...
    X