No announcement yet.

New to me GS1100GL, doesn't fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The starter clutch / stator will have nothing to do with the ignition timing on this bike...and it's highly unlikely that the timing is off unless the signal coil plate fell off. Be happy it fired, but beware of a big charger gizmo, an electrical surge can fry your ignitor. Your carbs need thorough cleaning,so no sense looking for something else to blame.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Well do the pod filters provide any advantage or are they just for looks? If not I'm going to go back to the stock airbox. Someone also installed a 4-1 header which i heard does bump power a little bit but that's going to stay stuck on there. I tried doing a quick search o whether anyone has a reference for jet sizes but I couldn't find anything

Spark plugs are sparking correctly. Looks like it's time to clean the carbs finally.

At least they aren't as hard to remove as a Honda V4.
      Last edited by Guest; 11-22-2018, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vamisk View Post
        Well do the pod filters provide any advantage or are they just for looks? If not I'm going to go back to the stock airbox. Someone also installed a 4-1 header which i heard does bump power a little bit but that's going to stay stuck on there. I tried doing a quick search o whether anyone has a reference for jet sizes but I couldn't find anything ?..
        Here's a stock jetting chart..

Done right, decent pods will give you a performance plus, probably at a little sacrifice of low /midrange. If you had the stock airbox/ filter setup, it would be easier on you to get it running nice.
        take the carb's apart and note jet sizes . Beware of geniuses that drill out jets on their power search!
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks Tom!

Comment

I thought you guys might be interested in seeing what trash i found while removing the carbs.
            20181123_150006.jpg

huh looks like i need new boots.

Comment

Looks like i need to strangle the PO

20181123_151123.jpg

Additionally, the choke was not set correctly (the screws did not like up with their recesses) The throttles were closed solid at idle. Is it like that stock? I'm pretty sure every carb i've ever seen in my life has the throttles cracked slightly at idle.
              Last edited by Guest; 11-23-2018, 04:37 PM.

Comment

With the carbs properly cleaned, the throttle plates will appear to be almost fully closed across carb throats . The idle/air mixture screw orifices handle the fuel needs when resting on idle stop screw and the transition to higher loads.
                1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                X