GS1100GK engine rattle at low revs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100GK engine rattle at low revs

Hi from a newby and my first post. I have a 1100GK that has been stood a few years that I am recommissioning.
    The bike is very tidy and has 20k miles on the clock which looks genuine. I have changed the oil, filter, plugs and flushed the carbs with clean fuel to start the bike. Everything appears in good order except a loud rattle (probably made worse by the fairing amplifying the noise). The rattle disappears as the revs build. Any suggestions what the problem might be? I am thinking its the cam chain and maybe the tensioner is sticking after the long stand up? Is there a way of checking without starting to strip down the top end engine? The engine ticks over fine and picks up ok but it might also be the carbs need balancing.

All I might offer is that you review the how the Cam Chain tensioner is set. Most GS's I've looked at have been set wrong. Somehow people haven't learned to look up setting them properly. If you don't have a manual look here to download one.

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ or ask the hooligans here : https://www.facebook.com/groups/uksuzukigsowners/

I was in Dorset last year in July and Damn it was hot!! Welcome and Cheers on the great bike!
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Hi and welcome, the first thing that I would do is check all the basic stuff. Check the valve clearance and at the same time you can check the timing chain and see if it is set properly. This allows you to get an eye on the top end and se it,s condition. With the valve cover off it makes it easy to check the oil pump action, just pull the plugs and crank the engine over and watch the flow. After all that check the sync by the manual. If everything is in good order, your bike will run like silk and hav gobs of power.

Cheers

V
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

DA, Welcome to TheGSR.

Just how low of rpm idle are you talking about?

CAm chain tensioner can be checked and reset without any tear down.
        (am not finding good link to any procedure at the moment).

Do introduce youself some more.
        Pic of GK would be nice.

Last edited by Redman; 01-26-2019, 10:04 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I have had carbs so out of synch that the primary gears rattled a lot. Charlie, my cam chains are probably messed up. Hey, there is a knob...Why not try twisting it?
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

image.jpg

Thanks for all the advice.
            Here is a picture of the bike I purchased about a year ago, it's an American machine and I need to get it MOT Tested to go through the import registration process. The picture flatters the bikes condition a little, the seat cover has a couple of small tears the tank has some small dents and marks, the forks don't hold air and all the usual things like perished tyres from a long lay up. I intend to get the bike in good roadworthy condition and then put a few miles on her with the fairing to see how I get on with it. In truth I won't be doing many long tours so I suspect I will remove the fairing and put a small screen on to off load all the fairing weight from the front wheel and make the bike less top heavy.
            Charliee G, I live in the county next to Dorset,we had a great summer last year and I am hoping there is a repeat this year. Thanks for the links, they are really helpful
            After listening and looking at the engine again my intuition is the primary gears are clattering at low revs due to the carbs being out of sync, the two right hand exhaust headers are much hotter then the left hand side.
            I will put a few gently miles in on it and then adjust the carbs and valves which will hopefully smooth things out.
            Last edited by DevonAndy; 01-27-2019, 04:28 AM.

Comment

image.jpg

Here is is a picture of the bike that started it all. I bought this in 84, fitted a Vetter type fairing and toured all across Europe and Turkey. The most comfortable reliable bike I have ever owned. I have an identical bike that has been laid up for a while that I will get back on the road for the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by DevonAndy;2524819

[IMG
                https://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=57182&d=1548576093[/IMG]

Charliee G, I live in the county next to Dorset,we had a great summer last year and I am hoping there is a repeat this year. Thanks for the links, they are really helpful
                After listening and looking at the engine again my intuition is the primary gears are clattering at low revs due to the carbs being out of sync, the two right hand exhaust headers are much hotter then the left hand side.
                I will put a few gently miles in on it and then adjust the carbs and valves which will hopefully smooth things out.
                I came to Bournemouth hoping to see "ole Blighty" , not San Diego without air con. I had a grand time to the east of you. Sounds like you are headed in the right direction with the sync. Cheers!
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by DevonAndy View Post
                  Hi from a newby and my first post. I have a 1100GK that has been stood a few years that I am recommissioning.
                  The bike is very tidy and has 20k miles on the clock which looks genuine. I have changed the oil, filter, plugs and flushed the carbs with clean fuel to start the bike. Everything appears in good order except a loud rattle (probably made worse by the fairing amplifying the noise). The rattle disappears as the revs build. Any suggestions what the problem might be? I am thinking its the cam chain and maybe the tensioner is sticking after the long stand up? Is there a way of checking without starting to strip down the top end engine? The engine ticks over fine and picks up ok but it might also be the carbs need balancing.
                  I had a similar issue, see vids of my rattle here https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...48#post2498748

So I took the bike in to my local expert mechanic specialized in older Japanese bikes, and had the carbs synched, valves adjusted and the cam chain inspected and tension adjusted. And the bike still makes the clicking sound, but significantly less so. My mechanic says I need new carb boots, as he says when you spray a flammable aerosol onto the boots the engine picks up a little, suggesting an air leak that may be interfering with clean engine ops at low revs. Anyway, he says just to leave it and ride it.
                  1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Cam walk is an option. Not a problem, just a minor annoyance. My 70K 850 has it, and for a long time now. Goes away right off idle.

Comment

I've had 2 gs1100e's and they both had that rattle. I always put it down to detonation, and once tried a colder plug for that. It did some good, didn't eliminate the noise altogether.
                      Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
                      1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
                      1981 GS1100E

Comment

I'd remove and check the cam tensioner.
                        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

No one has mentioned the clutch basket? the GK has the same basket as the 1100e, they rattle all the time. First be sure the nut is tight, Then check for wear in the splines where the friction discs ride and loose\broken springs behind the basket.
                          sigpic
                          09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                          1983 GS1100e
                          82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                          1980 GS1260
                          Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Another possibility is a rusted baffle in the muffler system. A friends 850 has that issue.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

A quick update on the rattle, after riding it a couple of miles to a garage for a UK MOT test the rattle has quitened a little. It seems to be around the clutch/primary gear area and is only audible at tick over. I am inclined to put a couple of hundred miles on the bike while keeping a close check on it making sure it doesn't get worse. The bike appears to have been stood for a few years so I expect it will take a while to settle down. thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X