No announcement yet.

Vetter windjammer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mount for my Vetter Windjammer is actually stamped with a number. It is 15X160119. I can't read what the X is, but it seems to be a number with a round top, like a 2, 3, 6, 8, or 9. I want to say it's a 3, but not entirely sure. It fits my 1980 GS850G.
    1980 GS850G (~33,000mi)

Comment

If anybody wants a Vetter mount, shoot me a PM and I can let you see pics of it and also offer dimensions to see if it will work for you. Pay only for shipping.
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by red1100 View Post
        I’m still contemplating my ride from Washington state to South Carolina this June or July. I have a slipstreamer on it now and would like a little more protection.
        Depending on which "slipstreamer" you have, the protection might not be that much better.

I have had frame-mounted fairings that range from the factory offerings from Kawasaki for the KZ1300, ZN1300 Voyager and my Goldwing. Have also ridden a few thousand miles with my Pacifico AERO on my 850. My son has a Windjammer on his 1000. I have also experienced a few (hundred) miles behind a Pacifico Shadow Royale and a Calafia STX. My wife has a National Cycle Plexifairing 3 on her 850L, and the protection on it is just about as good as any of the frame-mounted fairings I have experienced. The biggest difference is the amount of protection below the knees.

There are those who praise the amount of storage available in the frame-mounted fairings. Yes, there is a modest amount, but it has to be used carefully, as there is wiring that runs through there, too. There is usually enough room for a pair of extra gloves or your sunglasses, but you are not going to pack a lunch or a change of clothes in there.

Originally posted by fixmybrokecomputer View Post
        On a ride like that, I'd think you'd appreciate the windjammer. Quite a bit of storage in the fairing. A frame mounted fairing, to me feels better in protection and handling. You can always pull it when you get back home if you want.
        Installing and removing a frame-mounted fairing is possible, but not something I would want to do on any kind of regular schedule. If you DO want the option of easily removing the windshield, the EZ-Mount option on the National Cycle Plexifairing is the way to go. It will take about half an hour to install and set it up the first time. After that, you can remove it in about a minute and install it in another two or three.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by red1100 View Post
          Anyone know if this fairing from a 78 GS1000 fits an 83 GS1100E?
          I'd say no problem. Frame is so similar, on front it's probably identical. The Vetter bracket is also a one size fit's all kinda thing too. Plus you can mod it EZ.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I have mounting brackets for 78 1000 and for the 850/1000G models if anyone is interested. I actually have a fair bit of Vetter accessories, wiring harnesses, venting caps, etc.. I keep meaning to put up in the classifieds.
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
              Why? It's easy enough to fab the brackets up.
              maybe for you,but I'm not a welder-fabricator and a saw-and-bolt unit gets pretty ugly too fast....I draw back when I find myself sorting through my hoseclamps...

still, this one is pretty good though

as an aside in case anyone's figured this out: strangely, I believe a good number of the original mounts were a bit odd. One "stock" setup I have is definitely shifted to the right so the fairing is closer to the tank on the left side...member Grimly had one of these too I recall....
              Last edited by Gorminrider; 03-05-2019, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                I have mounting brackets for 78 1000 and for the 850/1000G models if anyone is interested. I actually have a fair bit of Vetter accessories, wiring harnesses, venting caps, etc.. I keep meaning to put up in the classifieds.
                You don't happen to have any lowers do you?
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

No lowers sorry
                  Rob
                  1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                  Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
                  X