Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle tube and grips replacement

Hello,

I have a 1980 suzuki gs1000gl and it has these foam style grips on them (I got the picture of Ebay since mine are still on the bike). I recently purchased new rubber grips and I was wondering if there was any way that I could separate the old grip from the throttle tube to reuse it? If not where do you all get your new throttle tubes from? I am having a hard time finding one that the internet says will fit. Is putting a new throttle tube on the bike a hassle? Thank you for your time.
    Attached Files

Here is a picture of the grips.
    Attached Files

Comment

Can't pretend to answer your questions, but I can offer up some memories.

In the '70's and '80's, black foam grips were the style. You'd see a big four cylinder, with lowered handlebars and rear sets, it always had black Grab Ons.

When I bought them for my Kaw 900, I'm sure I just hacked the old originals off with a knife. I then found that it was not so easy putting the new ones on. A neighbor suggested lube, I think I might have resorted to that. No way they were going on without it.

Fast forward 30-odd years, I had my mechanic install black Grab Ons on my Suzi a few years ago. I don't recall his having to replace the throttle tube (I would have seen it on the bill).

But I can only assume it was tighter and harder to do than my Kaw, because these grips have not lasted long. The right one is nearly split in two, and it has never spent a night outside.

Still, I'm going to replace them with identical black Grab Ons when I re-road her this spring. The grips, cheap and inconsequential as they are, are one of the most important parts of the bike. Think about it: the pegs, shifter and brakes, you're wearing shoes or boots. The seat, you feel through your jeans.

The grips are arguably the most visceral part of the bike. Whether you're in a showroom or a friend's garage, even if you don't throw a leg over, you always grab the grips.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Thanks for the great insight! I agree the grips are a visceral part of a bike. I didn't like the feel of the foam grips so I felt that getting a pair that i liked would make for a more comfortable and enjoyable ride. This being my first bike, I want it to be a reliable machine and comfortable.

Comment

i had the exact same grips on my bike, i stripped off the foam and found the throttle tube had raised ridges on it and was told it was original. i installed a pair of Pro-Grips w/out a problem. i asked the same question back in october (page 3 currently)
          Last edited by Guest; 02-07-2019, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by standswithabeer View Post
            i had the exact same grips on my bike, i stripped off the foam and found the throttle tube had raised ridges on it and was told it was original. i installed a pair of Pro-Grips w/out a problem. i asked the same question back in october (page 3 currently)
            Glad to hear install wasn't a problem! How did you get the old grips off without damaging the throttle tube? Some people say they use wd-40 to dissolve the glue and others say cut them off carefully.

Comment

i cut them off carefully. not really a problem as the throttle tube itself was still pretty tough, while the foam and glue really had broken down. here's an enlarged/cropped and fuzzy pic to show what was inside my grips, 79 GS750L. i had just started the tear-down on that project.

edit: looks like some of the foam was still hangin' in there. : )
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Guest; 02-07-2019, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info and the helpful picture!

Comment

Cut the old foam ones off if you don't want to keep them (foam ones don't survive being taken off anyway) and use hair laquer to lube the inside of the new rubber one and the outside surface of the throttle tube. The new grip will slide on easily if you're lucky, and the hair laquer will evaporate and stick the grip in place without being too heavy duty an adhesive. It means you can get them off again if you need to.
                  Careful use of a compressed air blowgun can aid fitting, too.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I wish ODI would do a lock-on grip for motorcycles like the ones they do for mountain bikes. So much better not to have to sod about with grip glue etc!
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                      I wish ODI would do a lock-on grip for motorcycles like the ones they do for mountain bikes. So much better not to have to sod about with grip glue etc!
                      I agree! I have odi lock grips on Yamaha raptor 700 ATV and they are amazing. It would he so nice if they had them for motorcycles.

Comment

Working...
                      X