Old Modified V&H clutch hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Modified V&H clutch hub

I was digging through some old parts and found a clutch basket that has Vance and Hines Modified stamped on it in blue ink. The backing plate is the stock steel stamped plate,it has welded rivets,Heavy duty springs,and has three half round tabs welded to the ring gear placed between the rivet spacing to stop flexing in that area.The basket is like new inside no grooves etc.Heli cut gear,Has anyone seen such a piece? Also what would it approx.sell for? I have 3 solid steel backing plate HD hubs now.1 in a motor and 2 on the shelf. Probably would be good for a stock bike. Called Vance and Hines and they said they discontinued it in the early 90's Thanks
    sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

I suspect RapidRay would have some info on the basket and ideas on value.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

these companies modified these baskets like this in the early 80's because no one was offering the HD backing plate.
      what you have is better than stock but i have seen them explode when pushed hard...(to much HP).
      by 82/83 falicon was building the HD kits so the modded stock basket was history.
      value wise?
      whatever someone will give...to me it's worth no more or even less than a nice stock basket.

Comment

yep. its a conversation piece now, thats about all. On the other extreme this is a clutch and other items from Crosby XR69. Just slightly modded......

xr69_clutch_and_buckets.jpg

Comment

I'd argue that it has value. Around the world, people are roadracing GS/GSX1100's. For a lightly modified one, this backplate assembly is way better than stock.
          No not as good as the full HD version - but if you're not dragracing and on a tight budget - this one is very suitable.

Comment

I have 3 of those with varied amounts of wear in the splines in my spares pile, and one in a bike. They apparently were popular back in the day. The springs are improved over stock, they have really nice welding. The tabs serve much the same purpose an the thicker backing plate. If I needed a basket I might pay a couple bucks more....
            sigpic
            09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
            1983 GS1100e
            82\83 1100e Frankenbike
            1980 GS1260
            Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Working...
            X