Tick/Knock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tick/Knock

TL;DR: I got a knock/tick in rhythm to driving speed. Seems to be coming from the back.

After standing still for about 1,5 years, I finally got the bike kinda sorted out again, good enough to drive it. This week I was able to finally put the brake and braided lines on, this morning I tuned the ignition and this afternoon I synced the carbs. After that I took the bike for a spin.

Everything seems well, until I roll, clutch in, towards a traffic light and I feel a rhythmic tick/knock. Acutally, a big one and a tiny one quite close to one another. It reduces speed with me and the bike reducing speed, which I think rules out the engine bit, since I had the clutch in and engine idling.

My first thoughts:
    1. Square tire (after standing for 1,5 years not riding. It moved location once, which would explain the two knocks instead of one).
    2. Wheel bearing
    3. Swingarm bearing: some guy from a shop once told me he didn't dare drive faster than 80 km/h on my bike since he thought it had a problem with the swingarm. I put it off as a "doesn't know how an old bike feels like" kinda thing. Neighbour (owner of a GS850) didn't notice anything like that. Never had any problem with that as far as I know.

What would you guys think?

Things done to the bike since last serious riding:
    - Carbs cleaned, tuned and synced.
    - Airbox cleaned and foam re-oiled.
    - New front fork springs
    - Brake calipers rebuild
    - New tires (went on just before it broke down on me)
    - New 4-1 exhaust.
    - Ingition and valve shims checked and tuned.

Drummert

Im to assume this bike is the 78 750. So, im thinking the chain. Specifically the master link. Set the bike on the center stand and put it in gear. Run it up good in first or second gear and listen while pulling in the clutch lever etc etc. Also watch the chain to see if it has a slight (jumping) to it as any certain link rolls onto the sprocket. And see that the adjuster notches are matching from each side...and the chain slack is right.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
      Im to assume this bike is the 78 750.
      Yes, sorry, forgot about that. It's indeed the 78 750. I'll check that one as well.

Comment

Be mindfull that too loose a chain can flop around and knock off the tips of sprockets. See the chain is properly tightened too. See the service manual for specs.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
        X