Windscreen cleaning products, tape residue/scratch removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windscreen cleaning products, tape residue/scratch removal

I have a National Cycle windscreen that was mounted on the '81 GS1100E I just bought and it has some tape or sticker residue as well as some surface scuffs I'd like to clean up before I list it for sale. I've never had a plastic windscreen so I'm just looking for some tips as to what will take the residue off without messing up the screen and what will work on the scuffs. Thanks...here's a pic:

P1020036.jpg

WD-40 works good for adhesive residue removal. Plastic can be polished with a small palm sized DA and polishing compound. They make plastic polish which works well but I think you can use just about any fine grit compound. Some guys even use toothpaste.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Novus Plastic Polish . . ​<-- click link

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I used the Novus on the 36 year old windscreen for my 750. It looks as good as new now.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
        1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

About the tape residue, I have no experience on plastic windshield, but on glass the most effective for getting dried up adhesive is engine starter fluid. That stuff turned the old hard dried up adhesive from old sun baked state park stickers into a soft goo that came off real easy. ALthough I hesitite to ussee that on plastic, but dont really know.

For buffing the fine scratches, I would say the typical plastic cleaner might have too heavy a grit in it for windscreen. FOr windscreen I have had good success with Meguiars PlastiX, available in many auto parts stores, has picture of car headlight on the label.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

and, I mean hand buffing with a cloth.
            Last edited by Redman; 04-29-2019, 12:54 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thank you all...wow.

Comment

Only six replies in 24 hours. Nothing to get excited about.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Bought my National Plexifairing used late last fall, looked as good as new. The PO said he was using a cleaner made for the flexible plastic windows that are sewed into vinyl tops for boats. I'm rather leery of wiping it with anything at this point although I've made it far enough south to where I'm hitting bugs now and the high pressure car wash wand is going to get harder to find as I start heading into dryer country later this week
                  1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                  1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                  LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Steve, got the Novus 3pt kit today, good results on the scuffs, good old WD40 worked nice on the tape crud...thank you!

Comment

You're welcome.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                      X